command line options - filtering files or include by file type RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi,

I'm testing out the syncToy beta and would appreciate some guidance on how to use command line options for file filtering with wildcards and more than one file type.  The syncToy command line mode for synctoy.exe apparently allows files to be included/excluded but the help file doesn't show any examples of how to include/exclude files.

Are wild card chars supported such as "*" ?  What is the command line syntax to include more than one file type?  For example if I want to include a group of files by wild card such as 'sync only files with *Jan10* and *Dec30*  in their file names, what is the syntax?  Are commas allowed between 'include' filters or is there some other delimiter char such as semicolon? 

The online help appears to indicate that maybe only one filter can be applied such as *Jan10*

Example command:

Synctoy -d

Command options:

-d(left=, right=, name=,operation=Synchronize|Echo|Contribute, [check=yes|no], excluded=,included=)

What I am trying to do is something like this:

SyncToy -d(left=e:\,right=c:\Pictures, name=MyPictures,operation=contribute,,,included=*Jan10*;*Dec30*)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Zack

• Moved by Max Wang_1983 Thursday, April 21, 2011 10:12 PM forum consolidation (From:SyncFx - Technical Discussion [ReadOnly])
    Monday, March 24, 2008 3:17 PM

Answers

• The "included" in your example is used correctly.

I tried it this way:

synctoy -d(left=c:\temp\left2.0,right=c:\temp\right2.0,name=fpcmd1,operation=synchronize,included=*8*;*9*)

defined a sync pair named fpcmd1, which will include any files with 8 or 9 in it.

then start the sync with another command

synctoycmd.exe -Rfpcmd1

and under the destination folder, the right files are synced over.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:03 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• The "included" in your example is used correctly.

I tried it this way:

synctoy -d(left=c:\temp\left2.0,right=c:\temp\right2.0,name=fpcmd1,operation=synchronize,included=*8*;*9*)

defined a sync pair named fpcmd1, which will include any files with 8 or 9 in it.

then start the sync with another command

synctoycmd.exe -Rfpcmd1

and under the destination folder, the right files are synced over.

Tuesday, April 1, 2008 6:03 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Jin He for confirming that this works. It looks like It would be helpful if there were a list of command line 'wildcard' options for include/exclude sync operations.

Thank you again,

zschmidt

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 6:19 AM