Seagate ST31500341AS 1.5TB Hard Drive RRS feed

• General discussion

• I was curious if there were some users who have used this drive with WHS.  I have heard of some problems with these but am tempted to purchase this huge drive at such a good cost.  If it is used should the firmware be updated first on another computer. 
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• Some users (not me; I don't own one) have had problems with this model, with some revisions of the firmware. You should search the forums.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 9:24 PM
  • I have two and another one on the way.  Both drives have CC1H firmware, with CC1J being the latest, and these are supposed to be from different build then the ones with problems.  I still ran them through Seatools and used them in my test system for about 3 weeks until adding both to WHS about a week ago.  So far no problem.  These two replaced four 500GB drives in my system with plenty room to spare.  One problem I had was that my motherboard did not support these drives, so had to connect them to sata add-on controller card.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 10:14 PM
  • I was just looking at those drives myself but got scared away after reading all of the negative reviews from tiger http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4138742&CatId=139 and other sites.

I opted to purchase 2 western digital caviar black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s drives.  Reviews looked very promising.
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 11:21 PM
  • the 1tb barracudas have great sucessrate.. not sure why the failure rates has been so high for the 1.5tb ones..
    I would go with samsung f1's or anything else b4 WD..
    historically they have been the worst of the best
    Friday, February 6, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Seagate admitted a firmware bug (and a fix for this is available now) on their website.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 7, 2009 8:50 AM
  • Phil Slates said:

I was curious if there were some users who have used this drive with WHS.  I have heard of some problems with these but am tempted to purchase this huge drive at such a good cost.  If it is used should the firmware be updated first on another computer. 

I purchased one from my local Fry's and it came with the latest firmware pre-installed.  It's been in my server for over a month now with no issues.
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Mine is fine too.. I checked the serial number on the checker on seagate website which confirmed my model was not one of the known faulty ones...
    DrSoton
    Sunday, February 8, 2009 10:51 PM