Shocked by the amount of data space required to do backups RRS feed

• Question

• I just build a new H57 Intel based mini-ITX NAS sytem with 5 2TB hard disks. At best I can cram 7 drives into the Lia-Li QC-08 enclosure but have 5 currently. I was expecting to have plenty of storage space as I have about 6.5 TB of data (static data: Videos, pics, books, etc.) on my ReadyNAS and 4 other computers with data data including OS perhaps amounting about 400GB. So total storage requirement does not exceed 7 TB.

Reading about having to duplicate the storage space & giving up 12% for DE us a but shocking to say the least. RAID 5 seems a lot more attractive, although I have had my share of disasters with ReadNAS there. But then I never rely on just one solution which has saved me over the years.

If understand correctly I should allocate for every 1 TB I want to store 2x1*1.12=2.24 TB under VAIL. Is this correct? Also, I will be backing up systems whose data changes every day but is only about 400GB but I am not sure how may copes VAIL should keep. Can someone recommend on how much storage I need to have a safe & reliable system?

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010 11:17 PM

All replies

• I just build a new H57 Intel based mini-ITX NAS sytem with 5 2TB hard disks. At best I can cram 7 drives into the Lia-Li QC-08 enclosure but have 5 currently. I was expecting to have plenty of storage space as I have about 6.5 TB of data (static data: Videos, pics, books, etc.) on my ReadyNAS and 4 other computers with data data including OS perhaps amounting about 400GB. So total storage requirement does not exceed 7 TB.

Reading about having to duplicate the storage space & giving up 12% for DE us a but shocking to say the least. RAID 5 seems a lot more attractive, although I have had my share of disasters with ReadNAS there. But then I never rely on just one solution which has saved me over the years.

If understand correctly I should allocate for every 1 TB I want to store 2x1*1.12=2.24 TB under VAIL. Is this correct? 

If you want everything duplicated, yes.
    Also, I will be backing up systems whose data changes every day but is only about 400GB but I am not sure how may copes VAIL should keep. 
    The backup technology used for the clients is similar to SIS (single instance storage) in that it doesn't make multiple copies of the same file.  For example, if you have Windows 7 installed on 5 PCs, it doesn't backup the same OS files 5 times (only once).

Can someone recommend on how much storage I need to have a safe & reliable system?

Thanks.

You would need approximately 15 TB of storage for your server-shared data, plus perhaps another 700 GB for your clients (and that's assuming you never add any files at all).  Considering how much data you are already looking at, I would say you should start with 20 TB.
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 1:39 AM
  • Not quite. The ECC is "off the top" of every drive you install; think of it as reducing available space, not multiplying space requirements. You'll need ~2.27 TB for each 1 TB of data. Hey, 30 GB is 30 GB! :)

As for how much storage you need, I don't think anyone here can tell you that. I can tell you that I would recommend the use of duplication for everything, then take regular full backups of your server off-site. This will maximize protection of your data, including protection from most common force majeure events.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:21 AM
  • A bit off topic, but actually you can get 8-9 drives in QC-08. 6x2TB 3.5's and 2x1TB 2.5's (in place of the 5.25 cage using a lain li adaptor) and then mount a 2.5 SSD (somewhere in the case, there is plenty of space) for the OS. That gives you 14TB of storage in a little box. I have already done it with the QC-08  and samsung 2TB F3s and WD 1TB 2.5s.  I'm runung vail with abou 11TB now. NOt a problem or issue, except the backup is not working to my 10TB thecus iscsi. IN a few months the 3TBs will apear and then this case will take 20TB.

shaun

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:13 AM
  • Yes, I also, thought about further expanding the total drive count in my Lian Li QC-08 server by using a 5.25' trayless SATA enclosure such as Wiebetech for example sells. The added side benefit is that I could use the SATA enclosure to put the fastest 3.5' 2TB  drive for the OS and swap it out with a a copy of the OS in case I installed something bad on VAIL that it no longer allowed booting. I could also mess around with LINUX as a side project by just swapping out the boot drives.

So I agree, that 14TB is probably the current limit for that enclosure. BTW, also opted for green Samsung drives besides the WD Black boot drive.

Only have 4 SATA with 1 eSATA port on my Intel H57 mini-itx board. So I am feeding the eSATA cable back to one of the drives into the enclosure. Don't think I'll be jumping at 3TB drives any time soon since I expected them to cost near $350. Looking at SATA PCIe expansing card so I can get at least a couple more SATA ports.

I am actually very happy with the performance of my  QC-08 as it is about 3x faster than my ReadyNAS NV & X-6. But then I went over board with 8GB of memory and a 3.6 GHz processor. For some reason VAIL only shows about 4.8 GB memory under the performance header. The start-up memory selection is set to 0 which I assume is maximum for the memory and one processor (although it is dual-core).

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 10:38 PM
  • I'm using the same MB and put a 8 port (2 SAS port) SATA pci-E card  in the single PCI-e slot. I'm about to update the MB to a gigabyte mini ITX with USB 3.

The card is a Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 8-Port SAS/SATA PCI-E Card and use 2 sas ports that both expand to 4 SATA ports. its about $100 and works
    fab. lots of discussion on Hardforum.  There are some available on ebay, ping me if you need any more details.

shaun

Thursday, July 22, 2010 11:31 AM
  • Shaun, thaks for the tip on the Supermicro SATA card. I ordered one but have not received it, yet. I could potentially become useful for some of my other builds. Didn't know that one SAS port expands to 4 SATA ports with one of these 1:4 cables...
    Monday, July 26, 2010 12:05 AM