Error: "Home PC is unresponsive" RRS feed

• Question

• Hey Guys,

I know this has been asked but no responses seemed to correct my issue so I will start a new thread with my particular case.

I have a Windows XP MCE 2002 SP3 desktop with a drive that has two partitions.  One for recovery (originally FAT32 but I converted to NFTS) and the main C: Drive which was NFTS.

When I try to configure backups for this machine I get the Home PC is Unresponsive" error.  When I initally try to install the backup collector I get an error that says there are no drives that are NTFS but there are.  When I try to configure backups, it waits the 15 minutes and gives me a different error.

I have 2 other Vista laptops and a MAC working with WHS so I believe it is the client.

Here is what I tried. (In between each I reinstalled the backup collector)

1. Ran chkdsk /f /r on both C: and D:

2. Updated .NET to 4.0

3. Removed all .NET through Add/Remove and installed the DOTNETFIX version on WHS.

4. Removed all .NET through .NET Cleanup tool and installed the DOTNETFIX version on WHS.

5. Updated the registry key to PartMgr

6. Looked at the C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Config folder and took all the .default files and copy them to .config files (e.g. machine.config.default to machine.config).

7. Installed the connector troubleshooter but showed no issues.

I can go to windows explorer and get to the server by \\server so the firewall should not be an issue.

HP MediaSmart tech support tells me I need to reformat my drive and I dont think that is necessary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

Ray

Friday, June 25, 2010 3:48 PM

All replies

• The drive which was converted from FAT32 may be causing your problem. Can you try removing it?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, June 26, 2010 1:35 AM
  • Ken,

I would love too but I am a little nervous in doing so.  I can go into my Disk Utility and select delete partition but will that mess up my boot.ini file?  Im not sure how all of that works and I dont want a machine that wont boot.

Any tips I need to know?

Thanks

Ray

Sunday, June 27, 2010 4:20 PM