Port Forwarding IIS/Firewall? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there...I am tremendously digging Vail, been hacking around for the past two days. That being said I'm trying to get the REMOTE ACCESS to work. Since my ISP blocks 80 and 443 I have been trying to port forward using 8008 and 8009 respectively. I have my Netgear set to forward 443 to the WHS server. I changed IIS default binding to 8009, restarted IIS and...nothing. I am thinking that the FW on WHS is preventing me from accomplishing my task at hand but can't seem to locate where I can allow port 8009 to come in?

Can someone clue me in ?

Thanks all!

Monday, May 17, 2010 7:53 PM

Answers

• Hello there...I am tremendously digging Vail, been hacking around for the past two days. That being said I'm trying to get the REMOTE ACCESS to work. Since my ISP blocks 80 and 443 I have been trying to port forward using 8008 and 8009 respectively. I have my Netgear set to forward 443 to the WHS server. I changed IIS default binding to 8009, restarted IIS and...nothing. I am thinking that the FW on WHS is preventing me from accomplishing my task at hand but can't seem to locate where I can allow port 8009 to come in?

Can someone clue me in ?

Thanks all!

It sounds to me like you got it backwards.  You need to forward 8008/8009 from the router to your server after adjusting IIS (or use port mapping/redirection to forward external port 8008/8009 to internal port 80/443 and leave IIS with the default settings).  Also, either way, you will need to put the port number in the web address (i.e. http://xxxxxx.homeserver.com:8008).  Finally, note that you could very well be violating your usage policy (and therefore your agreement) with your ISP by going around a port they specifically blocked (and as such they could terminate your service).  You should see if they have an internet package that will allow ports 80 and 443 instead.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:54 AM

All replies

Can someone clue me in ?

Thanks all!

Try: Start -> Admin. tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, then add Inbound Rule
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:51 AM

Can someone clue me in ?

Thanks all!

It sounds to me like you got it backwards.  You need to forward 8008/8009 from the router to your server after adjusting IIS (or use port mapping/redirection to forward external port 8008/8009 to internal port 80/443 and leave IIS with the default settings).  Also, either way, you will need to put the port number in the web address (i.e. http://xxxxxx.homeserver.com:8008).  Finally, note that you could very well be violating your usage policy (and therefore your agreement) with your ISP by going around a port they specifically blocked (and as such they could terminate your service).  You should see if they have an internet package that will allow ports 80 and 443 instead.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 4:54 AM
  • Thanks guys! I was able to get it. Seems like the FW rule was the key. I used to deal with 2003 Server and IIS but these new versions, whew..takes some getting used to.

Kariya21, yes I hear you but I am not planning on streaming or anything crazy like that. Just will be remoting in perhaps to check things and maybe show a pic or two. You are right, they do have a "plan" that allows that but it is ridiculously priced and I don't think worth it.

Thanks again guys...

Tuesday, May 18, 2010 1:43 PM