Video capture RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 4 channel capture card for home security video. Would windows home server handle this if I installed it with its drivers and viewing software. This would also mean that part of the harddrive would be used to store video data  and if need be played back. And also the live feed could watched as well. Thankyou M
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:20 PM

Answers

• Hello,
    besides the fact, that this usage of Windows Home Server is unsupported (and maybe touch the EULA), the question is hard to answer, since many such devices do not include Windows Server 2003 drivers. The same goes for software, which may check, if it runs on a client OS.
    You should not directly write to disks the Storage Pool - always use a UNC path to a shared folder of your WHS. Or add a disk to the system, which is not part of the storage pool.
    Some people have done similar stuff, so it may be possible, but since too much depends from the real hardware and software, nobody can give you a good hint here without more details.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Monday, December 15, 2008 4:55 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:21 AM

All replies

• Hello,
    besides the fact, that this usage of Windows Home Server is unsupported (and maybe touch the EULA), the question is hard to answer, since many such devices do not include Windows Server 2003 drivers. The same goes for software, which may check, if it runs on a client OS.
    You should not directly write to disks the Storage Pool - always use a UNC path to a shared folder of your WHS. Or add a disk to the system, which is not part of the storage pool.
    Some people have done similar stuff, so it may be possible, but since too much depends from the real hardware and software, nobody can give you a good hint here without more details.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by morphy125 Monday, December 15, 2008 4:55 PM
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:21 AM
  • Thanks Olaf I will leave that idea for the time being. Thanks M
    Monday, December 15, 2008 4:57 PM