any problems installing SSRS on server 2008? RRS feed

• Question

• We can't get SSRS to install on the production server.  As a result we are using the installation on the dev server to support production.  We can't leave it that way because the SQL Data connector we installed on the Dev Server, changes a registry key that points the MSCRM_Config Database to the Production SQL server.  Dev CRM uses that same reg key to point to the MSCRM_Config Database on the dev server to access CRM.

If we change the reg key to point to crmdev01, the Dev CRM works, but production reporting is dead.

Are there any known issues about reporting services and the new server OS?

Monday, October 13, 2008 2:55 PM

Answers

• Most have SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services installed on the SQL box, that is why I thought the cause might be related to not installing on SQL.  I am sure you will sort it out as you seem to have a good handle on what you are doing.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

There are no known issues with SSRS 2005 on Windows 2008 as far as I am aware. However, remember that you have to have SP2 for SQL Server installed to configure SSRS on Windows 2008. Otherwise you will not be able to access the reporting services and their dbs.

Kuba

Monday, October 13, 2008 3:34 PM
  •  

Just to cover the obvious, you are trying to install SRSS on the SQL server right?  What error do you receive when you try the install?
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 4:56 PM
  • I'm not on the infrastructure staff so I haven't seen the error messages, but no, we are installing on the server holding the CRM app while the databases are on an enterprise SQL Server cluster.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:13 PM
  • SRSS needs to be installed on the SQL server.  See the CRM Implementation Guide for more details.

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ceb5e01-de9f-48c0-8ce2-51633ebf4714&DisplayLang=en

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Well I have the planning guide rev 4.1.0 and in reading pages 3-25 to 3-27 I see no such requirement.  In fact what it does say is:

The Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services has the following general requirements:

·         You must complete Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server Setup before you run Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services Setup.

·         You can install and run only one instance of Microsoft Dynamics CRM Connector for SQL Server Reporting Services on a computer that has SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services installed.

·         Separate deployments of Microsoft Dynamics CRM cannot share one SQL Server Reporting Services server. However, a single deployment of Microsoft Dynamics CRM that has multiple Organizations can use the same SQL Server Reporting Services server.

If the 2nd & 3rd bullets are true and the SSRS had to be on the SQL Server machine, then it would logically follow that you couldn't have more than one instance of CRM running against an SQL Server.  Logic aside, we currently have SSRS on the DevCRM box, ProductionCRM using it and its connector and SQL Server on a different cluster.

This is why we need to have SSRS installed on both the DevCRM box and the ProductionCRM box so that we can install a connector for each CRM.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:10 PM
  • Most have SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services installed on the SQL box, that is why I thought the cause might be related to not installing on SQL.  I am sure you will sort it out as you seem to have a good handle on what you are doing.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:15 PM
  • I've just been informed that, with the help of Microsoft support, a breakthrough has been made.  I'll keep my fingers crossed

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 10:20 PM