I cannot delete the OneCare backup files on my External Drive. Can anyone help? RRS feed

• Question

• I am having access problems to my external drive. I uninstalled my Windows OneCare but the backup files on my external drive cannot be deleted. I have tried all of the instructions on Admin/User rights but it says I cannot remove the files without OneCare permission? I had this message with Vista and now Windows 7. Do you have any suggestions?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Monday, December 14, 2009 2:50 PM not mse (From:Microsoft Security Essentials: Getting Started and Upgrading)
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 1:04 AM

Answers

• Backup all your other data on the drive and then format.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Reformatting will be the easiest way to go. Although if you do not have any other drives or way to backup the files in that drive taking ownership of the folder for the OneCare Backup folder will be the best method.

In order for you to do this, since you are using Windows 7:
    1. Right click on the OneCare Backup folder.
    2. Choose Properties.
    3. Go to the Security tab.
    4. Click Advanced. Choose the Owner tab then hit Edit.
    5. Highlight Administrators, then tick the option saying Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects. Hit Apply and then OK thrice.
    6. You should now be in Full Control of all the files and folders of the OneCare Bckup folder. Try if you can now delete it.

Crimson Spectrum at http://aiscer.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:53 AM

All replies

• Backup all your other data on the drive and then format.
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Reformatting will be the easiest way to go. Although if you do not have any other drives or way to backup the files in that drive taking ownership of the folder for the OneCare Backup folder will be the best method.

In order for you to do this, since you are using Windows 7:
    1. Right click on the OneCare Backup folder.
    2. Choose Properties.
    3. Go to the Security tab.
    4. Click Advanced. Choose the Owner tab then hit Edit.
    5. Highlight Administrators, then tick the option saying Replace owner on all subcontainers and objects. Hit Apply and then OK thrice.
    6. You should now be in Full Control of all the files and folders of the OneCare Bckup folder. Try if you can now delete it.

Crimson Spectrum at http://aiscer.spaces.live.com
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:53 AM