Syncing Files RRS feed

• Question

• I am tring to find out.  With WHS is their a way to sync my documents on my laptop with my a director on the whs.
    Friday, April 9, 2010 6:03 PM

All replies

• Nothing is built into Windows Home Server to do this but there are many third party tools avialable like synctoy, robocopy etc.
    --
    Friday, April 9, 2010 7:13 PM
  • Hi, Chris,

What OS are you using? What I did is set the location of "My Documents" on the server, and then made them available offline on my main PC. Then on my laptop I repeated the process. This is a somewhat simplistic description of what I did, but figure you can work out the details. If you need help, post to this thread and I'll see if I can help you.

A potential problem is that the place the documents reside on your local harddrive is inaccessible, so if something happens to the documents on your server, you need to have a backup of your server, which introduces its own set of issues.

The online sync happens automatically, so it is very convenient once you set it up, but it also isn't entirely reliable. I ended up with the files from my server disappearing at one point, and I never did find out what happened. Fortunately I had a backup somewhere, but it was disconcerting. Good luck!

Diana

Sunday, April 11, 2010 11:31 PM
  • Chris, for me the best third part syncing software is SyncBack, see http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/. They have a Free version, a SE version and a Pro version. I've used the PRO version for a couple of years and really like it.
    Monday, April 12, 2010 5:59 AM