Appeal unathorized Azure sandbox ban? RRS feed

• Question

• So for the last few weeks I've got the message "unauthorized sandbox use detected. your sandbox has been terminated". I had gone through most of the courses for the AZ-203 exam, so hard to say when it happened, might be for the task where you write a script to start 3 VMs, which I ran twice, when there was an error in the first try, or some random service I started without thinking too much about it. Lately I'm also seeing this message in the cloud shell: "The sandbox may only be used to complete training on Microsoft Learn. Use for any other reason is prohibited, and may result in permanent loss of access to the sandbox."

I appriciate that there now is a warning, but it would have been nice of MS to have posted it before they banned me. They used to say "don't worry about sandbox resources, they are automatically shut down." And there was a limit of 150 active cloud shells, so I figured they had their usage in check anyhow. Also, I assumed that since the AZ-203 certification being obtained by developers would benefit the Azure ecosystem and thus Microsoft's cloud position, they had a more friendly attitude. I can handle the strict rules, no problem. But communication strategies are also a thing...

Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:07 PM

All replies

• I just got the same message. I've been going through the Azure Solution Architect learning paths and have continued to run into the max of 10 sandboxes because every module it seems starts a new sandbox rather than recycling or letting  you utilize the prior one.

Some modules call out requiring the use of an Azure portal account, but some modules in the network architecture do not. Given the similarity of the exercise and the fact that you can actually save time in doing the second module by building upon the work of the first module, it made sense to reuse the sandbox via the cloud shell.

However, apparently this triggered a sandbox violation. Heaven forbid that somebody trying to learn to use Azure would think outside the box to reuse an existing solution for a new solution. "I don't need to do no stinkin reuse..."

If it's truly supposed to be a sandbox, you should be able to do what is needed for at least short periods in which they are alive rather than getting action revoked because you did something from 2 modules in the same sandbox.

Now, I have to wait "several weeks" according to the canned response. 

Not a big issue in that I have multiple paid Azure subscriptions I can use, but then I'm blocked form getting experience points which I use to track my progress in the modules because several modules have a "check your work" which will only work against a sandbox.

So, Microsoft's stinginess in the sandbox use is actually impeding people who want to learn.

I can even understand that there need to be triggers to check for unauthorized use, but maybe it should give a warning first that you are doing something you're not supposed to do? Or maybe it shouldn't require several days to process an appeal?

Very disappointed.

Saturday, January 25, 2020 11:00 PM