Windows Activation key RRS feed

• Question

• I bought my laptop in 2007 and got a windows vista upgrade CD with it. It did not have the serial key and I didnt need it then so i didnt care. My laptop Crashed many times and so I decided to restart the laptop. I reinstalled the Vista Home Basic where it asked a serial key. I didnot have the key and could not find it on the disc holder for the vista upgrade so I pressed the "Activate Later" option. It seemed to work fine until it started showing the "Activate Windows Now" balloon on the bottom of my desktop. And because I do not have the activation key on the holder what should I do except buy a new one online because I bought a laptop thinking it would stay for a long time.

-absolute
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:02 PM

Answers

• Hello Absolute,

Thank you for visiting us today. You will need to activate by phone. You will then need to explain your situation to the activation rep. 

To Activate by Phone:

a)    If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type slui 4 in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b)    If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The important thing to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 11:12 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Hello Absolute,

No worries :-).  Curious exactly what Windows version came pre-installed on  your laptop when you received it? Originally you mentioned, "windows vista upgrade CD with it". Did your computer come pre-installed with Windows XP and you received a Vista Upgrade CD? Was the Vista upgrade a Windows Anytime Upgrade version? Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/anytime-upgrade-overview.aspx for paticulars. Maybe this site will help answer questions. 

Upgrade Windows versions are not the full version. Windows upgrade versions build upon the previous version of Windows which were already installed. This is why you are receiving the errors. Do you still have the Recovery Media Disc which you may have received @ the time you purchased the laptop? If not please check the hard drive and see if there is a hidden partion which has the recovery media available. If not then you will need to contact HP and order the Recovery Media. Usually the cost isn't much but please discuss this with them. 

I have included their contact information here for your convenience.  Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Support for HP products (United States only)

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs –Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

Laptops:  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3253920&lang=en&docname=c00810334

Take care Absolute,

Stephen

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own which will help minimize confusion. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers. Thank you, Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:49 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hello Absolute,

Thank you for visiting us today. You will need to activate by phone. You will then need to explain your situation to the activation rep. 

To Activate by Phone:

a)    If you have access to the Start button: Click the Start button, and type slui 4 in the search field and then press the "Enter" key. This will bring up the Activate by Phone dialog window. Follow the steps provided by the window. The phone activation process should only take about 6 minutes.

b)    If you do not have access to the Start button: Reboot and login to Vista, a dialog window will come up. In that window, click the option "Access computer with reduced functionality". Once you do that, Internet Explorer or Firefox browser will open. In the address bar type c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe press enter, a new window will come up, type: slui 4 and hit enter and follow steps to Activate over the Phone.

NOTE: The important thing to this process is that you need to talk to a Live Activation Rep! When you first call, you will be interacting with an Automated Voice, either select the option to talk to a Live Rep or if there is no option, do not enter any numbers. This should force the automated voice to transfer you to a Live Rep.

Thank you,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, June 15, 2009 11:12 PM
    Monday, June 15, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Thank You Stephen for the quick reply. I will talk to a Live Rep and see what they can do.
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 8:56 PM
  • No problem :-). Have a great week and thank you again for visiting us.

Stephen
    Tuesday, June 16, 2009 9:14 PM
  • Sorry Stephen to bother you again but I talked to a live rep and they said I will have to talk to my laptop company since vista came pre-installed and when I talked to the HP customer service, they said they can't help me since the warrenty on my computer has expiered. They can send me a CD than can install everything that came with the laptop but they have to charge it.
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Hello Absolute,

No worries :-).  Curious exactly what Windows version came pre-installed on  your laptop when you received it? Originally you mentioned, "windows vista upgrade CD with it". Did your computer come pre-installed with Windows XP and you received a Vista Upgrade CD? Was the Vista upgrade a Windows Anytime Upgrade version? Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/get/anytime-upgrade-overview.aspx for paticulars. Maybe this site will help answer questions. 

Upgrade Windows versions are not the full version. Windows upgrade versions build upon the previous version of Windows which were already installed. This is why you are receiving the errors. Do you still have the Recovery Media Disc which you may have received @ the time you purchased the laptop? If not please check the hard drive and see if there is a hidden partion which has the recovery media available. If not then you will need to contact HP and order the Recovery Media. Usually the cost isn't much but please discuss this with them. 

I have included their contact information here for your convenience.  Since the telephone number and websites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity.

Contact HP 

Worldwide

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Support for HP products (United States only)

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/contact/phone_assist.html#section1

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs –Obtaining a Recovery CD or DVD set

Laptops:  

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3253920&lang=en&docname=c00810334

Take care Absolute,

Stephen

• Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:49 PM
    Thursday, June 18, 2009 9:49 PM