Re-creating historical invoice amounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are new to CRM and we previously manually tracked our sales on spreadsheets.  Now that we are somewhat comfortable with using CRM we are re-creating our sales in Dynamics by creating opportunities/quotes/orders/invoices and we have added a  field in the invoice entity for noting the date when the invoice was paid.

So here's my question:  In order to accurately record a partial payment in 2013 (the customer paid in installments), for an opportunity which occurred in 2012,  should I recreate the opportunity which occurred in 2012 and create an invoice for the partial payment? I would assume this would be the solution, but any help on this would be appreciated.

Please note:  I have my hands somewhat tied as a Superuser, as part of the solution would have been to implement a third party invoicing/accounting application with a plugin into Dynamics 2013, but I have to resort to use what little resources have been approved at this point and for the meanwhile have to use  "guerilla" methods to work with this base implementation of Dynamics.  Thanks!

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 6:12 PM

All replies

• You are correct, the partial payment option is what you want. 

I know you said you are limited in scope, but be aware that CRM is not intended to be a transactional system, so I wouldn't go looking at it to become an A/R system.  The Invoices are largely intended to be consumed from a system like AX so salespeople know the current status of an order's payment more than active tracking itself.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 7:07 PM