none
How to reinstall : WINDOWS XPPRO GENUINE ADV FRENCH DIRECT CD NO KEY ? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought Win xp online twice. Each time, i got an original Win xp CD with hologram/certificate and so on. (Product ref : X11-29286 FR).
    I have to reinstall after i found corrupted files. The sad thing is that i'm told to enter a key and i don't have any because my genuine kits are called "WINDOWS XPPRO GENUINE ADV FRENCH DIRECT CD NO KEY" (at least that's what i can read on the certificate of authenticity !!!!
    I can provide all numbers around barcodes on each of my 2 certificates. All i don't want is to buy a licence again !!!
    How can i do ?
    Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 3:50 PM

Answers

All replies

• AngryRC,

Could you please clarify for us information regarding your first two purchases.  First, when you purchased XP twice, did you purchase two WGA Kits or are you meaning that you purchased two kits from an online vendor? Please identify the online vendor where you purchased Windows XP Pro if you purchased from an online source verses purchasing from Microsoft.

Next, in order to receive the best support, we request all users to initially run the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostic Tool.  This will try and identify the individual issue you may be experiencing.  Please provide a brief synopsis describing your customer scenario, including any dialogue, error messages, or codes. These can be found in the lower left hand corner of most Genuine Advantage Web pages when an error is encountered.

By clicking the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled? Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Thank you,

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:12 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:13 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:07 PM
  • AngryRC,

The description of the Certificate of Authenticity you gave sounds correct for the CD and package of the WGA Kit ordered and shipped directly from Microsoft.

However, as noted on the CoA, the Product Key is not provided with the CD because the Product Key is emailed to you by Microsoft almost immediately after you complete the purchasing procedure online, assuming of course you purchased these items direct from Microsoft.

As Rick noted, if you happened to purchase these items from a non-Microsoft source, who would have been selling these second-hand, you would have to go back to that source to get the Product Key.  In fact, the WGA Kits are not intended to be sold via any channel other than directly from Micosoft.  (Hence the word "Direct" in the CoA Product Description.)

If you purchased directly from Microsoft, this paragraph from one of the forum "sticky posts" will be of interest to you:

"--Where is the WGA KIT I ordered?--

Thank you for purchasing a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit! Your new Windows XP product key and a link to an online conversion tool will be sent to the e-mail address you provided, within 2 business days. A CD will also be sent in case you need to reinstall Windows XP (allow 2-4 weeks for shipping).

We recommend checking your junk folders/filter if your new product key hasn’t arrived by e-mail within 2 business days of completing your order. If you still haven’t received your product key or have other issues with your order, going to http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx and selecting the country that you reside in, a phone number or email address will be displayed that you can use to contact your local customer service team.

Order support is available during regular business hours."

Hopefully that link and the phone numbers from that ink will help you get this sorted out.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 5:46 PM
  • Thank you for your responses at first.
    Then, i forgot to tell that i was posting from another computer than the one who needs to be reinstalled. That makes Rick's solution uneasy^^.
    I'll try http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/orderhelp.aspx. Thank you.
    • Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:30 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:22 PM