Activation - Vista RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting that same code that has been posted several times. 

I have seen the response that I will need to resinstall Windows XP and then install the upgrade over it.  This does not seem like a solution to the problem.  If this was the case then I would not have formatted my hard drive to have a clean install providing the Windows XP disc during installation as requested by the installer, to not be able to activate the software.

Is there someway of activation Vista without a hard drive wipe?

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 6:21 PM

Answers

• Hi Erreca:

Unfortunately, Upgrade Activations must be only done as an upgrade - as WIndows Vista Upgrade installations can only be used as (as stated) an upgrade and cannot be installed stand-alone.

You can then activate online (or phone) by right clicking My Computer and selecting properties (the bottom of the dialogue box should have the option to Activate Windows).

-phil

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:55 AM

All replies

• Hi Erreca:

Unfortunately, Upgrade Activations must be only done as an upgrade - as WIndows Vista Upgrade installations can only be used as (as stated) an upgrade and cannot be installed stand-alone.

You can then activate online (or phone) by right clicking My Computer and selecting properties (the bottom of the dialogue box should have the option to Activate Windows).

-phil

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:55 AM
  • Phil,

Thank you for your response.  I think this is a very poor design by Microsoft.  I have been working on computers for years, have a degree in Computer Science and this is the first time I have had a problem with this. 

The ability to do a clean install should be removed from the Upgrade discs then.

Thanks again for your response.

Papillon

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:40 PM