Pentium III 600 + 512MB working like a champ RRS feed

• General discussion

• Just thought I'd drop a note and say that you don't HAVE to have a 1Ghz machine to run Home Server. I've had it running for a day or so now and it's doing exactly what I need. Backuping up photos of my two week old daughter.

Shahn

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:39 AM

All replies

• Great to hear it works on your config, I'm planning on dusting off an old IBM server, P3 800MHz, for testing WHS on. However I'm going to have to get some more RAM for it, 192mb probably won't even let it install. Hopefully going to upgrade it to 512mb if all goes well. :)
    Friday, February 23, 2007 8:37 AM
  • I run it on a compaq deskpro 866 with 512 MB and two USB-Drives. My only invest was aPCI-USB2 card for 10 €uro and it runs perfect :-)

Friday, February 23, 2007 12:48 PM
  • Yes, I tried to install with 384MB ram and the installer won't let you. I would imagine you could borrow some memory from friends for the install, then go back down to 384MB and it might run alright, but I'm sure it's not supported.

Shahn

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:40 PM
  • Cool, my only investment was an Intel PRO/1000 GT desktop adapter ($30 from newegg.com).

Shahn

Friday, February 23, 2007 2:42 PM
  • I have an old 500 MHZ Pentium III I,m going to try to install it on, but first i will have to get some more ram. I,ll let you now if it works with such a slow processor, but if it works on 600 i don't think there will be any problem with 500.
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Thats good news to hear, I am in the process of installing WHS on the following hardware:

• Tyan Tigger 133A (S1834D-I)
    • 2x Pentium III 800EB
    • 4x 256MB PC100
    • Geforce 2 MX440 64MB
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 80GB
    • Creative SB Live! 5.1
    • Dynex 4-port USB 2.0
    • 2x Realtek RTL8139C

My Sil 2112 ATA controler wouldn't work for some reason. I also had 2 Maxtor 20GB drives on the secondary MB channel, but WHS would not install on the 80GB drive if I had those 20GB drives connected. I have run Server 2000, 2003 & various 'nix flavors on this machine, so I am interested in how WHS stacks up to those.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:50 PM
  • I would recommend you just pull the sound card. WHS won't use it, and I've seen reports that it's not possible to get sound working on WHS anyway. Of course, it could be that it's just too much trouble to remove it, in which case don't bother, as it won't hurt anything.

As for the 20 GB drives, I would submit a bug report on Connect. I don't think the documentation says you can't have a drive that small connected, though it does say that the minimum size drive you can install on is 40 GB.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:25 PM
  • Yeah, I could pull the sound card, but as long as there are no conflicts, I see no reason to. I have already submitted a bug via connect, as I didn't see one already.
    Tuesday, February 27, 2007 7:49 PM
  • i'm glad to hear that

I'm going to install on my home machine this weekend. It's like yours, P3 733 512RAM 2 HDD 20GB + 120GB.

Now if only could get WHS installing on my 20GB HDD... that would leave my 120GB empty for backups (more than enough)

Thursday, March 1, 2007 11:21 AM
  • For info you should use the largest HDD as the main HDD because of limitations of Beta2 of WHS. There is a thread about this issue :
    https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1224586&SiteID=50

So this way you will have 20GB of system, 100GB of backup on the first HDD and an additionnal 20GB for folder duplication.

Thursday, March 1, 2007 12:01 PM
  • You have no idea how much this relieves me.

I've spent about $110 upgrading my P3 (the fastest spare machine I own), but 1GHz Slot 1 CPU's for the 100MHz system bus are pretty expensive, so even though I was able to get a DVD-ROM, a 160GB HDD, and an extra 512MB of RAM, I'm still stuck with the 600MHz CPU.

Thank you for making me feel better : )

Friday, March 2, 2007 3:38 AM
  •  Atomusk wrote:
    For info you should use the largest HDD as the main HDD because of limitations of Beta2 of WHS. There is a thread about this issue :
    https://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1224586&SiteID=50

So this way you will have 20GB of system, 100GB of backup on the first HDD and an additionnal 20GB for folder duplication.

You got a nice point there :) by using the 20GB HDD for mirroring. But as my Windows experience, if i could get the "data" out of the main HDD, windows would run much faster, and it would be much easier to restore drives and backups in case of system hdd failure IMHO.

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:59 PM
  • Good news indeed.  I'm trying out WHS in VPC2007 until the physical hardware is available to me -- which is a dual 733MHz P3.

cheers,
    Ben
    Friday, March 2, 2007 6:17 PM
  • It´s possible. I made the installation with 512Mb and then back to my 256Mb and works fine. (but slower...)
    Friday, March 2, 2007 11:44 PM
  • In terms of RAM, I am running a P4 1.7 GHz and although I installed WHS with 512MB, I had to pull half of the memory afterwards to put it back in another machine.  WHS has been running fine since and will hopefully continue to do so until my replacement memory arrives.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 1:50 AM
  • Well regarding installation on a 20gig drive do you guys think the following can be done? :

1 x 80 gig drive on a lets say p3 or p4 computer. install WHS on it then input the drive as a slave in a second computer that as winxp or vista as its main operating system, then shrink the partition to a 20gig partition, eg like we do in XP or Vista true the disk management tool or true something like partition magic ( " Needs to have exact amount of space that the 20gig as, to make sure that when we restore the image it will go on it " ).

Then do the image of the partition, then restore it on the real 20gig drive that we want to have WHS on, then switch that 20gig to the main computer the p3 or p4 that is suppose to run WHS, and not forget to put the 20gig drive as the primary drive.

Would that work or not ????

Like eg : drive image states you can only restore a image of a partition to a drive that is partition is the same size!!

So technically it should be possible but what do you guys think?

Saturday, March 10, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Same here. I just installed my beta on a P3 600 mHz and PNY (256x2)= 512 of PC100/133 ram. Only machine I had laying around. Honestly, nothing more needed so far. 

I will warn you....WHS seems to be picky about the ram used in these old machines. I had Red Hat running perfectly on this machine with 4 ram sticks that were a mix match of sizes (64 meg, 128 meg) , PC100 and PC133 and different amount of chips on each stick.   When I tried to install WHS, this mix match cause all kinds of hangs and blue screens of death issues. The blue screen errors mentioned memory, so it was obvious what needed to be done.  Trip to CompUSA...LOL 

So, I just went out and bough two matching PNY 256 PC 100/133 sticks and WHS installed just fine. Used two sticks of 256 ram instead of one 512 because this old board will not recognize a single 512 stick.  Took an hour + to install WHS, but so far seems good.

Lesson for the day....mixed ram that worked fine for Linux did not play well with WHS.  So use matching sticks-brand, size, mHz, and chips on each stick.

Hope this helps others to dust off that old heap in the basement and try WHS for a cool file back up plan and server.

Thanks,

The Judge 

WHS installed on:

P3 600 mHz , PNY PC100/133 ram 256x2=512, Lite-On DVD/DL/CDR/W drive, Seagate Baracuda 200 gig ATA-133 drive, Mobo-GCT Supertek P3VFA (circa 2000-2001?), New 10/100 D-link Ethernet card, Unknown vid card (old as the mobo), removed sound card and modem to prevent conflicts.

Saturday, March 10, 2007 9:22 PM
  • I am running WHS as a VM on my iMac. I had to set memory to 512m and HD to 32g to install. reducing the memory to 384m didn't seem to affect it much. 192m did seem slow.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 1:16 AM
  • I got whs running on a p4 2.00 Ghz, 768 MB, 80 GB + 250 GB, nvidia 6200 256mb (little bit of overkill for a whs) and it's running very, very smooth. The only questions i have is: how long is it gonna last? can we use this license for ever?, do we need to buy the full package of whs when it's available? or do we get a very nice discount .

Greetings from holland,

Sjoerd de Jong

Monday, March 12, 2007 10:32 AM
  • From memory beta-2 expires 12 months after installation date

Ben
    Monday, March 12, 2007 3:31 PM
  • Try finding 20 GB hard drives that run at 7,200 RPM and use at least 512 MB RAM for installing WHS.  Most real old PCs can only accept a 40 GB so buy as many ATA/66 hard drives between 20 and 40 GB as you can now.  A slow, "clunky", 20 GB hard drive w/ only 384 MB RAM won't do you much good after you install WHS anyhow.  Go for quality in your hardware choices.  I have spent countless hours online on eBay purchasing vintage hardware for my Intel Pentium III (1000/256/133/1.7V SL4BS) server and my two Celeron 533 workstations.  Another important hardware device is the actual computer case itself.  Do some research on case cooling.  Make sure you go for a quality set of network adapters.  Cheap ones overheat on some motherboards.
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 3:02 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:
    I would recommend you just pull the sound card. WHS won't use it, and I've seen reports that it's not possible to get sound working on WHS anyway. Of course, it could be that it's just too much trouble to remove it, in which case don't bother, as it won't hurt anything.

As for the 20 GB drives, I would submit a bug report on Connect. I don't think the documentation says you can't have a drive that small connected, though it does say that the minimum size drive you can install on is 40 GB.

I had it installed on a dell Inspiron 1100 Laptop (30gb HDD, 512 RAM)

Any ideas on how this could happen?  (or is it just a guess at the minumum requirements?)

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:39 PM
  • Currently I have WHS installed on a P3 866 mhz machine w/ 384 MB Ram... i did not have any internal DVD-ROM but i did have an USB one but the computer did not boot on USB so i had to put the HDD i was going to use in my Home computer and start the installation process and when WHS restarted the computer after formating the HDD and installing the setup file.. i just switched the HDD back to the p3 i am using now made sure my USB DVD Rom was pulled into the server and continued the install with no problems at all.  It has been about a week now and no problems at all with WHS so far.

(I made sure i didnt have any other HDD connected other than the one i wanted to install WHS on when i switched the drive to my home computer just to provent any mix up with my personal computer's HDD.)

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:53 PM
  • I just finished reading the Monster WHS server thread (aka, "Critique my system").  All I can say is that we have some serious power dudes on this board!  I went out and bought a used Dell GX150 w/ 512M RAM in a desktop case, so it only holds one drive. Had an 80 Gb drive laying around, went and bought a USB 2.0 card for future expansion.  Total cost: $110.  If I had waited on the USB card, it would have only been $95.

Since we're going to have to pony up for the software after the beta test, I didn't see any point in spending major bucks.  Now when the beta expires, I'll have a system that I can wipe and load Linux on, and use that for learning Linux.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007 4:53 PM
  • Installing now on a VIA EPIA UTX board with a VIA 800Mhz chip (P3 class plus a little) with 512 MB ram.  I hope it works well because these boards could be a great start to a small and quiet little machine for WHS.
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 5:45 PM
  • Sounds like a nice little machine you got.  I read somewhere....that the Beta lasts one year. And when the license is up you have the option to buy the license. Is there going to be a discount for all our hard work..wink wink... don't know. But it would be nice...

The Judge.

Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:01 AM
  • Just wanted to add my two cents:

Built off an old HP Pavailion Board

1X 160GB Samsung Sata HDD via addin card

1X 30GB IBM Deskstar HDD ATA

1X Airnet Gigbit NIC

1X DVD Burner

1.4 Ghz Celeron (can you believe that)

512 PC 133 RAM (this was my hold up, takes forever getting RAM by Ebay)

This setup is running very nicely. I tried installing on an older compaq and had problems, So far, not a thing wrong and speed seems to not be an issue.

Steve

Friday, April 13, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Hello Ken,

sound? -> no problem with HP D530 SFF P4HT/3Ghz

just installed the HP SP to get the driver (SoundMAX) for the onboard soundchip...

adding the trayicon for convenience, etc... to disable sound goto system32/mmsys.cpl

Friday, April 13, 2007 3:11 PM
  • Hi judgeschambers,

I also did have that problem, but it was a read out error of the ram speed by MB (fastet not slowest did the speed).

I did do a Ram test, did fix Ram speed and no more problem!

Thursday, August 21, 2008 2:06 PM