Cannot access shared folders Windows XP SP3 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm having some issues with setting WHS2011 up on my XP SP3 laptop. I have connected the computer in question to the server and I can remote access the server via dashboard and connect as a user via launchpad but the server does not appear in my network places and when I click on "shared folders" on launchpad I get an error dialog stating "cannot perform the requested task".

Any suggestions?

Friday, August 12, 2011 5:05 PM

All replies

• Try temporarily disabling the firewall on your laptop and see if that changes the situation.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:09 PM
  • I did try adding exceptions for Windows Home Server 2011 and also fully disabling the firewall but this made no difference.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having some issues with setting WHS2011 up on my XP SP3 laptop. I have connected the computer in question to the server and I can remote access the server via dashboard and connect as a user via launchpad but the server does not appear in my network places and when I click on "shared folders" on launchpad I get an error dialog stating "cannot perform the requested task".

Any suggestions?

Can you try to "ping" your server? What kind of response do you see when you do so?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:43 PM
  • When pinging the server both by IP and by name it responds with no packets lost.
    Friday, August 12, 2011 5:46 PM
  • Any suggestions?

Try opening the server shares using the Launchpad (Shared Folders option).
    Does that work?

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 6:39 PM