get genuine kit question RRS feed

• Question

• I had purchased Win7 retail and all seemed fine for several month and then it started saying "not genuine".  Doin some research and found all the info here and sure enough my holograms peel off.  I notified the seller and they passed they buck saying they had been ripped off to.  I filed the report with MS and was pleasantly surprised to have them send be the complementary get genuine kit.  Thanks MS!

My problem is before I got the kit I purchased another copy of Win7 and used that serial number to get my PC to validate.  Now that I received the get genuine kit it says only for replacement on a PC that failed validation.  Since I already bought a new copy, can I save this kit for the next install I need to do?

The copy I bought might be retail which means it can be moved to another PC.  If so, would it be best to use the get genuine kit SN on this PC, releasing the Sn I bought and installed already for another PC?  or does any of this even matter?

Before I do this I would want to verify the new copy I bought can actually be moved to another PC. Does running the MGAdiag tool and seeing Product ID Type: 5 - Retail prove that for me?

Does each time I move the retail SW to a new PC decrement the rearm count? And what does that mean? When it runs out the SW is no good to install anymore? 

I tend to change computers every couple years and the point of buying retail is so I don't have to buy the OS over and over again, right?

Thanks.

DBur
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• Q.  "Can I save this kit for the next install I need to do?"

A.  Based on your circumstances, it would be okay.

Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Use the GetGenuine product key on the computer that had the counterfeit Windows.  It is a non-transferrable key, just like an OEM product key.  Save the full license retail key for future use.  As long as the editions are the same it is a simple matter of using the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page and activating.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:43 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Q.  "Can I save this kit for the next install I need to do?"

A.  Based on your circumstances, it would be okay.

Carey Frisch
    Friday, August 5, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Use the GetGenuine product key on the computer that had the counterfeit Windows.  It is a non-transferrable key, just like an OEM product key.  Save the full license retail key for future use.  As long as the editions are the same it is a simple matter of using the Change Product Key link on the System Properties page and activating.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Friday, August 5, 2011 8:43 PM
    Answerer