After blue screen on client, cannot open backups on drives other than c:\ RRS feed

• Question

• This morning, as I was browsing a backup of another client machine on my main computer, I received a blue screen. It referenced mountmgr.exe I believe. I am not certain if that was it. I didn't write it down at the time. I restarted the computer and tried to access the same backup again. It runs to about 84% and then I get a message dialog that says the backup could not be opened. I looked in the event logs on the affected machine, but there is nothing about the bsod. It shows where I restarted the machine and other events afterwards. It also shows previous events. Just not the bsod.

I opened the console on the whs and went to settings, support toolkit, event viewer to see if any events were recorded there. Nothing about the bsod. It did show where I had accessed the server and it also showed several failed attempts to open backups.

I went to settings, backups, repair backup database and it did its thing. Said that the repair was successful. I tried again to open a backup from the same machine. No luck. Same thing. I rebooted the whs.

I opened Windows Explorer on the affected machine to see if I could locate a mini-dump of the bsod. I got to C:\Windows\System32 but I could not find any minidumps. I clicked on SysWOW64 and it bsod again. This time it referenced ntfs.

I restarted again and went into the bios to check my memory timings. They were where I had been running them for the last two months. I raised the voltage from 1.5 to 1.6 and restarted the os. I still could not open any backups from the console.

I started another client machine on the network and tried to open the backup that produced the bsod on the other client. It opened successfully. It was a backup of that machine. I tried a backup of another machine and it opened it.

The machine having the bsod's is running Vista Ultimate 64-bit. The other client machine is running XP Pro 32-bit. I don't know if it is a 64-bit problem or what. I have not found any minidumps on it. It may be because I have the pagefile on another hard drive by itself.

After another reboot, I was able to open a backup of the 64-bit machine's C:\ drive, but not the D:\ drive.

I haven't changed anything on the server since I got it rebuilt from the last crisis. Auto update is enabled. The version numbers are at 2030. The only error I can find is on the Support toolkit page. The server connectivity shows:
    Checking Website: "RemoteAccess"
    Checking path: "c:\inetpub\remote"
     FAIL: File c:\inetpub\remote\robots.txt does not exist.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
     FAIL: End checking Windows Home Server website files......

I ran the whs connector troubleshooter in advanced mode on the troubled 64-bit machine but everything checked out correct.

What next?

Randall Davis

Edit: I solved the errors in the server connectivity results. It seems that the .txt file was not where it was expected to be. I copied it from another directory to where it was looking and it was OK. Then it was looking for a .dll file which I found one directory level below. I copied it to where it was looking and everything passed.

It still will not open any backups that are not C:\, although I have opened some backups from other machines, it is always the c:\ drive that will open. None of the other drive letters will open.

Sunday, April 12, 2009 8:52 PM

Answers

• I reinstalled the connector software and that did not resolve my issue. I decided to start with the newest backup and work back to the oldest to see if any of the backups could be opened. I went back three days and found a working backup for the D:\ drive. I then went to backup cleanup and deleted the backups that couldn't be opened. I left everything else as it was and let it backup last night. I was able to open the backups from last night.

It is my understanding that the backups are incremental, so that is why I deleted the non-working ones. I didn't know if WHS would still increment off of the deleted backups, but apparently it doesn't.

I will let this run for a few more days before I am satisified that the issue is resolved.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:55 AM

All replies

• Have you installed PowerPacks 1 and 2? There have been a lot of fixes on the backup restore wizard.
    Monday, April 13, 2009 2:57 PM
  • I have installed PP2. The version number 2030 reflects that. All updates have been applied, also.

Thank you for your reply.

Monday, April 13, 2009 5:14 PM
  • This morning, as I was browsing a backup of another client machine on my main computer, I received a blue screen. It referenced mountmgr.exe I believe. I am not certain if that was it. I didn't write it down at the time. I restarted the computer and tried to access the same backup again. It runs to about 84% and then I get a message dialog that says the backup could not be opened. I looked in the event logs on the affected machine, but there is nothing about the bsod. It shows where I restarted the machine and other events afterwards. It also shows previous events. Just not the bsod.

I opened the console on the whs and went to settings, support toolkit, event viewer to see if any events were recorded there. Nothing about the bsod. It did show where I had accessed the server and it also showed several failed attempts to open backups.

I went to settings, backups, repair backup database and it did its thing. Said that the repair was successful. I tried again to open a backup from the same machine. No luck. Same thing. I rebooted the whs.

I opened Windows Explorer on the affected machine to see if I could locate a mini-dump of the bsod. I got to C:\Windows\System32 but I could not find any minidumps. I clicked on SysWOW64 and it bsod again. This time it referenced ntfs.

This is a problem on the client machine. If you are browsing to a folder on your client without opening backups and the system bugchecks, it's the client.  There are no dumps because the paging file is not on the boot volume.

If you want to analyze the dumps when they occur, you will need to move your paging file its default location (boot volume). Also, please try to catch the exact BSOD messages when they occur.

Since you are running Vista, you might check in Problems Reports and Solutions for references to these bugchecks; however, they will not have much information because there are no dumpfiles for them to pull information from.

Thank you
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, April 13, 2009 5:30 PM
  • I added a pagefile to the c:\ drive last night. I have received one since then, but I have not loaded the WinDbg stuff yet.

I did do a clean install of my video drivers last night, also. I have not experienced any blue screens since, so that must have been at least part of the problem.

I still cannot open any backups of any drives not labeled as C:\, though.

I'm still working at finding the problem. I think I will uninstall the connector software on this client and do a clean install of it, also.

Monday, April 13, 2009 10:47 PM
  • I reinstalled the connector software and that did not resolve my issue. I decided to start with the newest backup and work back to the oldest to see if any of the backups could be opened. I went back three days and found a working backup for the D:\ drive. I then went to backup cleanup and deleted the backups that couldn't be opened. I left everything else as it was and let it backup last night. I was able to open the backups from last night.

It is my understanding that the backups are incremental, so that is why I deleted the non-working ones. I didn't know if WHS would still increment off of the deleted backups, but apparently it doesn't.

I will let this run for a few more days before I am satisified that the issue is resolved.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 12:55 AM