What IS the best way to install WHS RRS feed

• Question

• After the beta testing and running out the expiration date, I got the OEM WHS. My idea was to use a 160Gb IDE HD at "boot" (now called sys) and 2x250Gb SATA 'data' drives. Installation was an ease... Everything seemed to work just fine so it gets moved to the back-room and file transfer begins.

From a 500Gb Linkstation Pro, I transferred some 350~375Gb of data and low and behold, SERVER becomes FULL. Being the fellow with all the time, I moved the files BACK to the LinkstationPro AND a USB 250Gb HD. (Note: Some files disappeared between the SERVER and destination.???)

I have now removed the two 250Gb SATA drives (to be replaced with two 500Gb HDs) and have only the single SYS and DATA 'disks' on one 160Gb hard drive running WHS.

After reading some of the posts, I find that my ideas are not so good and leads me to the question of which is the best way to have the greatest amount of storage?  Should I set up SYS and DATA on a 500Gb SATA (boot) and attache the second 500Gb as well as the 2x250GB? Or maybe set up SYS and DATA on a 40Gb HD with the added 2x500Gb and 2x250GB HDs?

With 1.5+Terabytes of disks, how should I configure the machine to run WHS?

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:09 AM

Answers

•  JC Sanford wrote:

After the beta testing and running out the expiration date, I got the OEM WHS. My idea was to use a 160Gb IDE HD at "boot" (now called sys) and 2x250Gb SATA 'data' drives. Installation was an ease... Everything seemed to work just fine so it gets moved to the back-room and file transfer begins.

From a 500Gb Linkstation Pro, I transferred some 350~375Gb of data and low and behold, SERVER becomes FULL. Being the fellow with all the time, I moved the files BACK to the LinkstationPro AND a USB 250Gb HD. (Note: Some files disappeared between the SERVER and destination.???)

I have now removed the two 250Gb SATA drives (to be replaced with two 500Gb HDs) and have only the single SYS and DATA 'disks' on one 160Gb hard drive running WHS.

After reading some of the posts, I find that my ideas are not so good and leads me to the question of which is the best way to have the greatest amount of storage?  Should I set up SYS and DATA on a 500Gb SATA (boot) and attache the second 500Gb as well as the 2x250GB? Or maybe set up SYS and DATA on a 40Gb HD with the added 2x500Gb and 2x250GB HDs?

Don't use the 40 GB for anything other than a paperweight. Smile

You should use a high capacity drive as your primary drive because WHS uses it as a landing zone for your files (meaning the max amount of data you can move to the server at any one time is your primary drive - 20 GB for the OS).  I would use one of the 500s as your system drive.

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  

Okay, that's what I've been reading... But that would limit the maximum size of the WHS to, say 750Gb?!? (The largest available hard drive on the market.) If that is the case, that makes WHS worthless. It should have an unlimited amount of storage.

I believe what you are saying, but I find it hard to believe... "Say It Ain't So, Joe! Say it Ain't So!"

John S.

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:15 AM
  • No, files hit the system drive first, and the available space on the system drive is what client PCs see when you access network shares. That's why you want to use your largest drive as your system drive. They get farmed out to secondary disks pretty quickly, but it's not instantaneous, so it's possible to overwhelm that process with a large enough batch of files. That's what I think you did.

But once they're on the other drives, the space on the system drive frees back up. So you can easily have multiple terabytes of files, with a 500 GB system drive.

And the largest consumer drive right now is 1 TB. You can buy one from NewEgg for a ridiculous premium over the price of a 500 GB drive. Smile
    Friday, October 12, 2007 12:10 PM

All replies

•  JC Sanford wrote:

After the beta testing and running out the expiration date, I got the OEM WHS. My idea was to use a 160Gb IDE HD at "boot" (now called sys) and 2x250Gb SATA 'data' drives. Installation was an ease... Everything seemed to work just fine so it gets moved to the back-room and file transfer begins.

Don't use the 40 GB for anything other than a paperweight. Smile

You should use a high capacity drive as your primary drive because WHS uses it as a landing zone for your files (meaning the max amount of data you can move to the server at any one time is your primary drive - 20 GB for the OS).  I would use one of the 500s as your system drive.

Friday, October 12, 2007 4:25 AM
  •  

Okay, that's what I've been reading... But that would limit the maximum size of the WHS to, say 750Gb?!? (The largest available hard drive on the market.) If that is the case, that makes WHS worthless. It should have an unlimited amount of storage.

I believe what you are saying, but I find it hard to believe... "Say It Ain't So, Joe! Say it Ain't So!"

John S.

Friday, October 12, 2007 5:15 AM
  • No, files hit the system drive first, and the available space on the system drive is what client PCs see when you access network shares. That's why you want to use your largest drive as your system drive. They get farmed out to secondary disks pretty quickly, but it's not instantaneous, so it's possible to overwhelm that process with a large enough batch of files. That's what I think you did.

But once they're on the other drives, the space on the system drive frees back up. So you can easily have multiple terabytes of files, with a 500 GB system drive.

And the largest consumer drive right now is 1 TB. You can buy one from NewEgg for a ridiculous premium over the price of a 500 GB drive. Smile
    Friday, October 12, 2007 12:10 PM