Computername-OC ????? RRS feed

• Question

• My issue is when you view the network there is a duplicate comptername with an extension of  -OC at the end. Does anyone have this issue as well and is there any Documentation  why it’s there.

I should also mention that it will go away if I uninstall OneCare

Thanks for your comments

Friday, February 15, 2008 1:25 AM

Answers

• These entries in the network for Vista are placed there by OneCare for the Printer Sharing feature. If you are not using this feature and don't plan to, you can disable Printer sharing by opening OneCare, clicking Change Settings, and on the Printer Sharing tab, uncheck the option for "Automatically share all printers connected..."

-steve

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Thanks for your information Steve, I have read a few pages on these forms and you are doing a great Job. Please don't get me wrong here however OneCare should have included documentation about this PC name they have used, as it looks like someone had joined your network.

It also gives you NDS errors if you click on it, however you can use a UNC path to connect to it which is where I realized this is an issue. I use another Microsoft Product called OneNote and of course I used the share feature think ever thing is ok however it shows up under the OneCare device, so if anyone connect to it you will receive a NDS errors which is not good if your showing People how things work.

I have resolved this issue once I realized what was happening however this took time away from other things, also I am concerned here as someone a few hours ago posted a note in my thread and it has been removed.

I am just testing the application and have another 53 Days left. I have a lot of  People that I know are asking me about this product and I not sure what to tell them as there is no mention on this added computer device in Network so, I have to wonder what else is hidden.

And also if you uncheck the printer option and reboot it still there, the only way I see to remove it is to uninstall.

I have also Noticed that Vista Firewall and Defender are turned off, I would of thought OneCare would of used them, as well as the Back and Restore (Home Premium Edition and up). Are they not the same tools?

For your consideration,

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I not sure what did Happen overnight however the machine name is now gone, so I suspect there is a lag time when you uncheck the printer setting, Also not only did it remove the machine name but is keep the printer shared by using the windows share option(the way it should have).

I don't have allot of time as I have a project to complete by next week, Anyways thanks for your time I know you cannot answer why they have done this, I would really like to know why.  They should added this to the on line Documentation and tell people what to expect. People will click on things and if Windows say it going to run a diagnostics and when it fails they think their machine is broken, which in turn will cost them money to have some look at it.

Once again Thanks and keep up the good work,

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:37 PM

All replies

• These entries in the network for Vista are placed there by OneCare for the Printer Sharing feature. If you are not using this feature and don't plan to, you can disable Printer sharing by opening OneCare, clicking Change Settings, and on the Printer Sharing tab, uncheck the option for "Automatically share all printers connected..."

-steve

Friday, February 15, 2008 2:59 AM
  • Thanks for your information Steve, I have read a few pages on these forms and you are doing a great Job. Please don't get me wrong here however OneCare should have included documentation about this PC name they have used, as it looks like someone had joined your network.

It also gives you NDS errors if you click on it, however you can use a UNC path to connect to it which is where I realized this is an issue. I use another Microsoft Product called OneNote and of course I used the share feature think ever thing is ok however it shows up under the OneCare device, so if anyone connect to it you will receive a NDS errors which is not good if your showing People how things work.

I have resolved this issue once I realized what was happening however this took time away from other things, also I am concerned here as someone a few hours ago posted a note in my thread and it has been removed.

I am just testing the application and have another 53 Days left. I have a lot of  People that I know are asking me about this product and I not sure what to tell them as there is no mention on this added computer device in Network so, I have to wonder what else is hidden.

And also if you uncheck the printer option and reboot it still there, the only way I see to remove it is to uninstall.

I have also Noticed that Vista Firewall and Defender are turned off, I would of thought OneCare would of used them, as well as the Back and Restore (Home Premium Edition and up). Are they not the same tools?

For your consideration,

Saturday, February 16, 2008 4:32 AM
  • I not sure what did Happen overnight however the machine name is now gone, so I suspect there is a lag time when you uncheck the printer setting, Also not only did it remove the machine name but is keep the printer shared by using the windows share option(the way it should have).

I don't have allot of time as I have a project to complete by next week, Anyways thanks for your time I know you cannot answer why they have done this, I would really like to know why.  They should added this to the on line Documentation and tell people what to expect. People will click on things and if Windows say it going to run a diagnostics and when it fails they think their machine is broken, which in turn will cost them money to have some look at it.

Once again Thanks and keep up the good work,

Saturday, February 16, 2008 6:37 PM
  • it probably took a refresh of the network to remove the item from the list. I agree that it could be better documented. Thanks for the comments!

-steve

Sunday, February 17, 2008 8:09 PM