Are we still waiting for a Surface Pro 3 Pen issue fix? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hey so I just got a surface pro 3 from someone after my desktop died and I just upgraded the device to dual-boot Windows 10 pro (1706 Fall Creators Update was my only option), and Fedora 27 Creator's studio. I rely heavily on touch devices for graphic design work and I was excited to get an active stylus for the Surface.  But after the update to <g class="gr_ gr_1258 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1258" id="1258">10</g> I discovered a very bad and honestly deal-breaking issue that I'd like to elaborate on now.

The problem: 
    When I just boot up the computer the pen works great.  However, it will randomly (I think I know why it's actually happening but see details below), stop drawing or working but the pen's top button still works (I can't try its side buttons because I never get around to using them by the time it breaks). This can be solved by refreshing both the pen (unscrewing and restarting) and the <g class="gr_ gr_951 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="951" id="951">bluetooth</g> (turn off, wait, turn on).  After some <g class="gr_ gr_1845 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="1845" id="1845">digging</g> I discovered it could be an Intel driver issue but I have all drivers up to date.  most comments here and all over the internet don't even describe how or why the break occurs but they all agree it was because of the creator's update and are very pissed about it.  

The question: 
    When are we going to get a firmware, software, or driver patch to solve this highly critical problem and if we are not going to get one, how can I roll back 1706 to 1703 and solve this problem given I never even was provided the chance to do so? the option does not show up in my settings and I can't figure out how to do it on the CMD. 

The basics (what i've tried): 
    1.  My pen's batteries (A^4 and button batteries) are brand new

2.  All updates and driver software available through <g class="gr_ gr_3020 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="3020" id="3020">microsoft</g> are fully up to date (that's the problem)

3.  The pen is working great and perfectly fine in <g class="gr_ gr_3314 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="3314" id="3314">fedora</g> 27 so it is DEFINITELY not the pen. 

4.  rebooting the device, <g class="gr_ gr_3933 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="3933" id="3933">bluetooth</g>, the pen, relevant drivers all work as workarounds but given the pen malfunctions every few minutes (see details below) this is not a solution by any stretch of the imagination.

5.   <g class="gr_ gr_4668 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="4668" id="4668"><g class="gr_ gr_4998 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="4998" id="4998">Surface</g> specific</g> software has already been updated and revised, as well as rolled back to ensure it is not surface or intel technology creating the issue.  

6.  I have taken steps to ensure that the device is both plugged in and not plugged <g class="gr_ gr_6767 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" data-gr-id="6767" id="6767">in to</g> AC and also that no other wifi or <g class="gr_ gr_6995 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="6995" id="6995">bluetooth</g> devices are able to interfere with it.  

The details (clues!): 
    1.  When the pen is working fine I have NOT used any other pointing device like a trackpad, mouse, or finger touch. 

2.  After using a mouse, finger touch, trackpad, or the typing cover the pen pretty much immediately stops working but the pointer is still there.  I can hover over windows, buttons, and other options but the touch to the device is not working. 

3.  because this pen is an active pen all of it's registered clicks including pressure go through the <g class="gr_ gr_5997 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="5997" id="5997">bluetooth</g>.  Bearing this in mind and recognizing the issue, I have used other <g class="gr_ gr_7375 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="7375" id="7375">bluetooth</g> devices on the surface and they work fine. 

Friday, April 20, 2018 10:47 AM