Returning a computer, but bought my own OS Window XP 64bit that is registered - RRS feed

• Question

• I am returning my computer that I purchaced from Shuttle - it came with Vista Home addition - I needed to downgrade the OS to Windows XP Professional x64. However since its registered in the well registry - and the system is returning back to Shuttle. NOT the software XP OS that I purchased. I want to be able to reuse this software on another system without it saying its locked to the returned system(which came with Vista). How can this be done? I have the return slip and refund for the computer, and of course the purchase slip for the OS for Windows XP which is separate.
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:50 PM

Answers

• Hello TraC7,

Your use of the license for XP Pro on the Shuttle computer does not qualify as a downgrade installation, because the license for Windows Vista Home Premium OEM does not confer downgrade rights.  Only the licenses for Windows Vista Business OEM and Windows Vista Ultimate OEM confer downgrade rights.

So your installation of XP Pro on the Shuttle computer was not a downgrade installation, it was a normal installation of an OEM license onto the Shuttle computer.

According to both the System Builder Agreement (http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552857) and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for Windows XP Pro OEM, the license for Windows XP Pro OEM is valid ONLY on the computer onto which the license is first installed and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

Therefore according the the above, you are not permitted to use the license fo XP Pro on any other computer.

If you had purchased a full retail license for XP Pro, then things would be different, because the EULA for full retail licenses for XP Pro allow the Operating System to be moved from one computer to another, which is what you want to do.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, September 11, 2009 2:43 AM

• Hello,

Here is a better URL to view the End User License Agreement (EULA) for all Microsoft products  http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx . For the purpose of defining licensing terms, 'OEM' and 'OEM System Builder' software are termed as "Pre-Installed on your computer from the computer manufacturer"

Note: OEM System Builder software is intended for small computer builders to be sold on the computer's they build.  OEM System Builder software is not intended for direct sale to end users except as the OS of a computer built by a small computer manufacturer/system builder.  OEM System Builder software is sold at a substantial discount due to the restrictions in the OEM License Agreement (such as, but not limited to, only being licensed to run on the first computer it is installed on and no free technical support from Microsoft).  It is recommended that all users of Microsoft Software be familiar with the licensing terms before they agree to them.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 PM

All replies

• Hello TraC7,

In what form did you purchase XP Pro, retail full, retail upgrade, or systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, September 10, 2009 11:30 PM
  • I purchased the OS Pro : systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer. at 179.89 CAN. for the OS only.
    Does this make a difference? I have the reciept for the OS, from A-Power where I bought it from.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 12:10 AM
  • Hello TraC7,

Your use of the license for XP Pro on the Shuttle computer does not qualify as a downgrade installation, because the license for Windows Vista Home Premium OEM does not confer downgrade rights.  Only the licenses for Windows Vista Business OEM and Windows Vista Ultimate OEM confer downgrade rights.

So your installation of XP Pro on the Shuttle computer was not a downgrade installation, it was a normal installation of an OEM license onto the Shuttle computer.

According to both the System Builder Agreement (http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentPage.aspx?pageid=552857) and the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for Windows XP Pro OEM, the license for Windows XP Pro OEM is valid ONLY on the computer onto which the license is first installed and is not permitted to be moved to any other computer.

Therefore according the the above, you are not permitted to use the license fo XP Pro on any other computer.

If you had purchased a full retail license for XP Pro, then things would be different, because the EULA for full retail licenses for XP Pro allow the Operating System to be moved from one computer to another, which is what you want to do.

Friday, September 11, 2009 2:43 AM
  • Wait so your saying because the system is being returned due to manufacture defect, that there is NOTHING I can do? The Shuttle computer came with Vista Home edition -64bit Premium which came with my system i just didn't like nor use....

Since you cannot buy full retail licenses for XP Pro any more. Windows has ensured that for the past few years. One has no other choice but to buy OEM license, at any retail outlet. Since I have the software, the manual, and the certificate. Since I was the one who installed the OS Window XP pro 64bit- I am kinda at a loss of what you are trying to say. The system came with Vista home edition(which sucks) I bought Windows. I OWN the XP pro,

So that means I would have to buy another OEM license again? Even though I have XP software, not  the computer due to the computer no longer working.

So am I understanding you right?
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:22 AM
  • Hello TraC7,

Did you read the Systembuilder Agreement and the EULA?  It may be BS, but it's BS that you agreed to.
    Friday, September 11, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Again that is not what I am asking is it? The agreement is not related to the question in order.
    The agreement does state I can exchange..and move OS without issue. So I am confused with the information that you are providing, It seems to contradict what I am asking. Can someone give me a direct answer?

Again this IS MY SOFTWARE...NOT Shuttle or anyones else.

Friday, September 11, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Hello TraC7,

My response is directly related to the question you asked.  Here is your original question:  "I want to be able to reuse this software on another system without it saying its locked to the returned system(which came with Vista). How can this be done?"

In other words, you want to move the XP Pro license from the Shuttle computer to another computer.

My response was that you are not permitted by the EULA to move an OEM license from one computer to another.

To read the XP Pro OEM EULA, click Start>Run, type winver, click OK, then in the resultant window, click on the "End User Licesning Agreement" link to read the EULA.  Paragraph 1 states, "This license may not be shared, transferred to or used concurrently on different computers."

Once you installed it on the Shuttle computer, the license is permanently married to the Shuttle computer.  This is the nature of OEM software.  This is the can of worms you open up when you as a consumer decide to use systembuilder/OEM/small manufacturer licensed software, instead of retail licensed software, to save money.

BTW, it is NOT your software.  You purchased a license to use the software under a set of conditions that you agreed to.

Luckily for you, Microsoft has designed their enforcement mechanism for systembuilder/OEM licensing to have plenty of wiggle room.  If you install your XP Pro license on another computer, it may automatically activate; if not, I am sure that it would activate telephonically.
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Friday, September 11, 2009 9:11 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by TraC7 Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:28 AM
    • Marked as answer by TraC7 Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:29 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by TraC7 Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:47 AM
    Friday, September 11, 2009 1:59 PM
  • Dan

No wonder majority of people get frustrated when they deal with Microsoft...

The semanticist of the situation - and the legality of where you where implying only enforced frustration.
    You could of simply stated the what you had at you end or your legal spew that I put down below here that summons up what I was looking for? Rather then beginning an and absolute jerk...and enforce more worry...and frustration...

BTW its petty..and really beneath someone of of your position at Miscrosoft.

Luckily for you, Microsoft has designed their enforcement mechanism for systembuilder/OEM licensing to have plenty of wiggle room.  If you install your XP Pro license on another computer, it may automatically activate; if not, I am sure that it would activate telephonically.
    • Marked as answer by TraC7 Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:45 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 PM
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:45 AM
  • Hello TraC7,

I am not a Microsoft employee, just a volunteer helper.

Saturday, September 12, 2009 4:13 AM

• Hello,

Here is a better URL to view the End User License Agreement (EULA) for all Microsoft products  http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/useterms/default.aspx . For the purpose of defining licensing terms, 'OEM' and 'OEM System Builder' software are termed as "Pre-Installed on your computer from the computer manufacturer"

Note: OEM System Builder software is intended for small computer builders to be sold on the computer's they build.  OEM System Builder software is not intended for direct sale to end users except as the OS of a computer built by a small computer manufacturer/system builder.  OEM System Builder software is sold at a substantial discount due to the restrictions in the OEM License Agreement (such as, but not limited to, only being licensed to run on the first computer it is installed on and no free technical support from Microsoft).  It is recommended that all users of Microsoft Software be familiar with the licensing terms before they agree to them.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 PM
    Tuesday, September 15, 2009 8:48 PM