One Computer Will Not Back Up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all... I have 3 PCs backing up on my WHS...  1 XP Pro, 1 Vista Home Premium and 1 Vista Business.

For the last two weeks, I have not gotten a complete backup on the Vista Business machine (which happens to be my primary computer). The backup will partially complete and then give the error "You computer has lost connection to your home server..."

The WHS EventVwr shows the same fault whenever the computer fails its backup:
    =============================================================
    Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    1000
    Date:        6/20/2008
    Time:        1:42:58 AM
    User:        N/A
    Computer:    SERVER
    Description:
    Faulting application homeserverconsole.exe, version 6.0.1771.0, stamp 484758eb, faulting module homeserver.dll, version 6.0.1771.0, stamp 48475981, debug? 0, fault address 0x00009864.
    =============================================================

The other two machines are backing up fine, as was the problem PC until just recently.

FYI, I have PowerPack1 installed.

Any ideas?
    Nathan in AL
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:12 AM

Answers

• The first thing I'd try is a chkdsk /f on the client that refuses to backup. I've had 2 pc's that wouldn't backup, ran chkdsk /f on both, both had problems, however to get one of them working correctly, I had to reformat and install fresh. Backup restore did no good, imaging to a different drive did no good, a fresh install was the only "cure" for the problem. Actually, now stopping to think about it, I reformatted both machines and did the fresh install. Neither machine has failed since.

That's never good news, but it did cure the failures for me. This was all prior to PP1, haven't had a single problem with PP1 installed.

Cruise
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:25 PM

All replies

• Please try reinstalling the connector software from http://yourservername:55000

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:57 AM
  • That was the first thing I tried. No luck...
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:33 PM
  • The first thing I'd try is a chkdsk /f on the client that refuses to backup. I've had 2 pc's that wouldn't backup, ran chkdsk /f on both, both had problems, however to get one of them working correctly, I had to reformat and install fresh. Backup restore did no good, imaging to a different drive did no good, a fresh install was the only "cure" for the problem. Actually, now stopping to think about it, I reformatted both machines and did the fresh install. Neither machine has failed since.

That's never good news, but it did cure the failures for me. This was all prior to PP1, haven't had a single problem with PP1 installed.

Cruise
    Monday, June 30, 2008 4:25 PM
  • @Nathan - did you file a bug report?

Monday, June 30, 2008 5:45 PM
  • Yep... that was it. I was on to this solution as I read your post. For about 3 seconds an info bubble pops up directing you to run chkdsk /f /r on all drives. Once I did that it found one file with bad clusters.

I've been very pleased with WHS so far... but this is a real problem that needs to be corrected. An entire backup reports failed because ONE file had bad clusters?!?!?

Furthermore, this problem is not logged anywhere that I can find... only the momentary info bubble I was lucky enough to see long enough to take a quick screen shot. Otherwise, you'd never know why your WHS wasn't doing a backup.

How do we report this issue to Microsoft for a fix?

Thanks all,
    Nathan
    Monday, June 30, 2008 7:47 PM
  •  NathanIngram wrote:
    How do we report this issue to Microsoft for a fix?
    How to submit feedback and bugs on Connect. This information is out of the draft release documentation for PP1, which you should have read before installing.
    Tuesday, July 1, 2008 11:39 AM
  • I had a computer xp home sp2 that wouldn't back up and was giving the chk disk solution which didn't work. I did a clean install of xp home sp2 and still got couldn't take volume snapshot. I took the hard drive out and hooked it usb to another computer that is connected to home server,  The usb connected hardrive backed  up. I put it back in the machine and tried to backup and got, couldn't take volume snapshot run disk check etc;

Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:05 PM