TV Archive function "Unable to Connect" RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to WHS Power Pack 3 (production release).  After the first time I am unable to use the TV Archive function. I get a error dialog box that states:
    INVALID APPLICATION
    Unable to launch "TV Archive"
    I can view the console view without any trouble
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I have been running WHS for awhile with no other issues.
    I hvae tried to uninstall and reinstall the WHS Connector software but to no effect.
    I really like WHS and would really like to use the TV Archive feature
    Wednesday, November 25, 2009 11:34 PM

All replies

• Same problem here.

Running a new install of WHS PP2, upgraded to PP3 RTM (has never had the beta).

The media center PC is a fresh install of WIndows 7 32bit, which was connected to WHS before the upgrade.

I've also tried the un-install and re-install of the connector.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:13 AM
  • I upgraded to WHS Power Pack 3 (production release).  After the first time I am unable to use the TV Archive function. I get a error dialog box that states:
    INVALID APPLICATION
    Unable to launch "TV Archive"
    I can view the console view without any trouble
    I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit

I have been running WHS for awhile with no other issues.
    I hvae tried to uninstall and reinstall the WHS Connector software but to no effect.
    I really like WHS and would really like to use the TV Archive feature
    Is the Windows Media Center TV Transfer Archive Service running on your client?
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 8:36 PM
  • Is the Windows Media Center TV Transfer Archive Service running on your client?
    It is in my case. It's running and set to automatic (delayed start).

During one of the tests it did stop unexpectedly twice, however after the latest uninstall/re-install of the connector it hasn't fallen over yet. Still unable to launch the TV Archive application in media center though.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:01 PM
  • I may try it this weekend on my laptop if I remember to take home my USB TV Tuner (as the TV archive option won't start up unless you have a TV tuner configured). That may tell me if it's specific to the WHS install, or just the win 7 client.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:03 PM
  • Yes the service is running on my client.  I did get the TV Archive to connect once again today and I added a series to the Archive list.  I came back and tried about an hour later and it is unable to launch.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:40 PM
  • I haven't checked on the service yet (I'm not at home at the moment) - but I'm running into the same error on my MC.
    Windows 7, just installed the new connector for PP3, as well as the Media Center Connector.

I went in late last night to configure the Archiver, set it to move recordings from 3 different shows - no compression/etc.   When I left it last night, it was about 20% through copying the first show over to the server - so I closed MC and locked the machine.

When I logged back in this morning, and attempted to load the archiver page in MC, I got the error indicated by DuaneM.

My Win7 MC is x64, if that has any bearing.
    Chris.Edson@online.microsoft.com * SDET II, Network Access Protection * Remove the "online" make the address valid. ** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 27, 2009 2:31 AM
  • I am also having a similar issue in that I cannot start the "Windows Media Center TV Archive Transfer Service" as it returns "Error 1067 - The process terminated unexpectedly"

I get that error ONLY when I try and start the service from my 'Administrator' account on Windows 7, I typically do not use that account as I am running as a 'Standard User Account' and from the image below as a 'Standard User' I do not have the permissions to try and start the service. When I run an elevated command prompt I also get the same error as if trying to start the service from the services.msc MMC console when logged on as an 'Administrator'

Services.msc MMC Console when logged in as a 'Standard User' and the 'WMC TV Archive Error'
    WHS PP3 TV Archive Bug 

Trying to start the service via an 'Elevated Command Prompt'
    WHS PP3 TV Archive Bug 02 

I will also note that back on September 3rd when I posted a comment on the WHS Blog after they had decided to put PP3 Beta back on Connect after taking it down I had hoped for an interim build so this could be tested and like so many times Microsoft AGAIN ignore the beta testers both on Connect and also on the product blogs, your blogs are not just a venue for a 'media release' they are also meant for discussions and if you do not want to reply then disable comments on your blogs as we are not having a two way conversation here, it is one way only and is not good enough.

I am as per the feedback survey hoping you release a final Beta/RC  version before shipping PP3 so that we can check that all our bugs have been resolved.

If some of those bugs on Connect that are still listed as active when you RTM PP3 it will be a killer for many users.

Regression testing doesn't hurt:-

'Build it and they will come' = 'Release an updated Beta and they will test it'

Windows 7 x64 RTM Ultimate with WHS PP3 Connector RTM installed

UPDATE: A second PC that is Windows 7 x86 and runs with a default 'Administrative Acount' (i.e. Not a secondary standard user account) also has the exact same problem in that I cannot start the 'TV Archive Service'

Cheers, Stephen Edgar

Saturday, November 28, 2009 7:40 AM
  • Same issue here running Win 7 Ultimate.

No issue with beta PP3 but with the official release I have never been able to run TV achive function in MC.

I also get the sytem error 1067 when I try to start the service.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 4:56 PM
  • Okay, decided to try firing it up today after not changing anything.

And it worked (from one of the 360s connected to the media PC).

I haven't restarted the PC since last trying (and failing) so no idea why it would be working now and not then.
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:46 PM
  • The TV Archive worked once today.  I selected some more shows to archive and closed out.  When I tried again 30 minutes later it is Unable to Connect.  Also the archive shows are not showing up in the archive folder on the WHS.
    Some additional information about my setup.  I record my shows on an external USB hard-drive.  I don't know if that makes any difference but I thought I should provide that information for completeness.

Sunday, November 29, 2009 11:09 PM