Sync Error with Space at the end of the folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

First of all, i have to say that the sync framework is really great. We had the problem to sync certain files from a mac to a windows server. The datatransfer was very slow and the detection of changes was even slower. Then I discovered the sync - framework and the performance problems were gone.

The reason i write now is that when i try to sync folders that end with a space, e.g. "Test ", the syncagent raises an skipped event with the error that the agent cannot find the path.

I don't know wheter this is a problem with communication between mac and windows itself, or a bug in the syncframework.

Kind regards

el Peppone

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 10:50 AM

Answers

• On digging a little further it seems like this is a Mac specific issue. There is a good post on the topic here: http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0002Ar

Apparently, on Mac when you create a file name or folder with trailing spaces or trailing dots it will cause a problem with accessing the file or folder via Samba as well as on Windows.

Unfortunately this can not be a supported scenario for us due to this issue and you will need to rename the directory to make their names protocol compatible.

Thanks,

Liam

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi el Peppone,

First, I was not able to reproduce this problem using the NTFSSample.  Was this space folder on MAC?  Are you able to reproduce this error when using the NTFSSample (or one of the other samples included in the Microsoft Sync Framework) download? 

Second,  if you are simply looking for a way to synchronize files between a windows and mac drive, you might be interested in downloading SyncToy 2.0 Beta which is a free powertoy meant for this exact purpose (to keep files in sync over different machines, USB drives, etc).  SyncToy 2.0 Beta's synchronization is based on the Microsoft Sync Framework.  You can download SyncToy from here

Liam

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:14 PM
  • Hi el Peppone,

I have tried to reproduce your problem using the NTFSSample the comes with the Microsoft Sync Framework download and was unable to do so.  Was this space folder on MAC?  Have you tried to reproduce the problem with the NTFSSample? 

Second, if you are simply looking to keep folders and files in sync between a MAC and windows server, you might be interested in downloading SyncToy 2.0 Beta which is based on the Microsoft Sync Framework.  SyncToy is a free powertoy download available here which allows you to do exactly what you are looking to do as it keeps files and folders in sync over remote machines, USB drives, etc.

Liam

Wednesday, November 21, 2007 5:25 PM
  • Hello Liam,

yes, the folder with space was on Mac. I used the sample that comes with the download of Sync Framework, but I wrote a small winforms programm and modified the source a little to just include pdf files and to be able to cancle the process of syncing and have a timer running to sync every hour. BTW, i do just a one way sync, from mac to windows.

I had a look at the SyncToy. I didn't like to shedule with the sheduled tasks, i prefer to have it in the same program, even if this means that the program is always running.

Kind regards

el Peppone

Thursday, November 22, 2007 7:24 PM
  • I just wanted to confirm the following.  You are using an SMB share on a Mac that’s accessible via a UNC path  from a Windows machine with which you are trying to sync?  Correct?

Liam

Monday, November 26, 2007 11:00 PM
  • On digging a little further it seems like this is a Mac specific issue. There is a good post on the topic here: http://my.brandeis.edu/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0002Ar

Apparently, on Mac when you create a file name or folder with trailing spaces or trailing dots it will cause a problem with accessing the file or folder via Samba as well as on Windows.

Unfortunately this can not be a supported scenario for us due to this issue and you will need to rename the directory to make their names protocol compatible.

Thanks,

Liam

Tuesday, November 27, 2007 7:39 PM