Defragmentation Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I'm having some difficulties with the MS Windows XP Defragmenter. When I did the WL One Care it did not work, so I went directly to the Disk Defragmenter and when I pressed analyze, a message pops up stating "Defragmentation of Hard Disk (C: ) has been aboted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on Hard Disk (C: ) to repair these inconsistencies, then run Deragmenter again." [I named the (C: ) Hard Disk] Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I'm currently running Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3 (Just in case if that info is necessary).

Please someone help me I like my disk defraged! XD
    Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:32 AM

Answers

• In My Computer, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties. Optionally, run the Disk Cleanup tool and make sure that Temporary Internet Files and Temporary files are marked for deletion. Next, click on the Tools tab and then on the Check Now button. Check the box labeled “Automatically fix file system errors”, and then click Start. For more detailed information refer to this Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

GreginMich

Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:24 AM

All replies

• In My Computer, right-click on the C: drive and select Properties. Optionally, run the Disk Cleanup tool and make sure that Temporary Internet Files and Temporary files are marked for deletion. Next, click on the Tools tab and then on the Check Now button. Check the box labeled “Automatically fix file system errors”, and then click Start. For more detailed information refer to this Knowledge Base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

GreginMich

Sunday, September 28, 2008 4:24 AM
  • Ok, but it said that it could not perform this check because it will have to do this when it restarts the computer....but I am afraid that I willl then lose everything cause it will do it but in the meantime destroy everything I have.(kinda like the Dark Side from Star Wars)
    Friday, October 31, 2008 2:14 AM
  • Doing a disk check should not cause a loss of data except in the most extreme circumstances and even then the data was probably already a loss.

-steve

Friday, October 31, 2008 4:10 PM
  • I have the same problem and have tried every suggestion to fix it, including online scanner, just won't fix it.

There is a program called RegCure on sale online. It claims it will fix the problem. What do you think?

Peter

Saturday, November 1, 2008 10:36 PM
  • I don't know much about this stuff.  It seems to me that the second guy who responded seems know or maybe works for Microsoft.  You have to ask him.  You can also see the response he gave me cause I might try that after I backup my stuff....too many things to lose!!!....a second time!!!!
    Sunday, November 2, 2008 1:34 AM
  • Don't bother with RegCure. I have probably the same problem as you. C:volume fragmentation. RegCure will not solve this problem, I have tried it.
    confused
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 11:08 AM