WHS - files & folders - maximum character length - asian character recognition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have separated out the questions regarding WHS from Acer to avoid confusion.

1) Is the folders and files name maximum character length acceptable to WHS Software the standard NTFS 255 character maximum, or if not what is the WHS maximum character file name length and folder name length. Does this also vary by type of file such as word/excel/jpeg/mpeg etc and operating system XP/W7/Vista/WHS?

2) Is the WHS software designed to correctly recognise asian romanji characters and Kanji on file names transferred from computers using XP/Vista/W7 which do correctly recognise. I want to ensure there is no conflict being created when files are transferred to the server from computers and syllable recognition problems are then adversely affecting /crashing my server.

Thanks

The question regarding Acer/outside manufacturer software thread continues at the thread below

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/d56492cd-0edd-4b1f-a31c-4016e52c6159?prof=required

Saturday, February 13, 2010 6:41 PM

All replies

• Attn Ken Warren & Olaf Engelke

Hi

Perhaps it's because it's the weekend but I'm slightly surprised that no response has been posted to this thread. Perhaps either/both of you can shed some further light on this. The reason I raise this is because in the CHKDSK report the (user) machine is actually identified specifically in the original report and is the one computer which contains files which have extra long file names and a mixture of English, Asian Romanji characters and Kanji, all of which work within XP/Vista/W7 seemlessly. If this is what is causing the server to crash at least it will have solved an ongoing mystery. If possible I would appreciate if the moderators can obtain an answer from the WHS programmers and post as a response on this thread.

Thanks 
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 2:17 PM
  • A few things... We understand that you have a problem, and you would like someone to solve it for you, but:
    • It's the weekend. People have lives. Get used to it.
    • In my case, I'm still dealing with the aftermath of 4' of snow in the last couple of weeks, in an area of the US that usually gets less than that in an entire winter.
    • You've created a large and confusing web of posts, with lots of discourse and "what if" scenarios and bonus questions deeply embedded. This is extremely difficult to parse and deliver a reasonable answer to. It's even difficult to take a guess at what you might really be asking.
    • We (MVPs) don't work for Microsoft, so we can't require answers from Microsoft. We can (and often do) ask Microsoft to take a close look at a forum thread to try to get a better answer than we can give. But if Microsoft doesn't follow through, that's it. And we (or at least I) don't say I'm doing so, because most people take that as a promise that Microsoft will do something , leading to false expectations, disappointment, etc.
    Regarding Kanji, Romaji (note: not Romanji) and other MBCS issues, Windows and programs using Windows APIs have had problems with them for many years in a mixed environment, so it's possible that there's a problem in Windows Home Server. File names are limited to 255 UTF-16 code units (which could be quite a bit more than 255 bytes). Most of those problems get fixed, but some don't. I can't tell you if there's a problem in your particular case, as I don't use MBCS file names. You might be able to find out more on your own (Google is your friend here, as are the Microsoft support web site, Technet, and MSDN), or you could always submit a bug report on Connect if you think there's an actual issue.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 3:08 PM

• Hi Ken

When I’m not attempting to get my home server up and running - again - I too try to have a life at weekends and even get outside occasionally. I trust that Microsoft are incentivising you for your forum work, weekends included. I need to charge for my time and effort otherwise I would be sleeping outdoors rather than indoors.

My posts have been fairly detailed in order to supply as much information as possible to the forum rather than to confuse anyone. I separated out the WHS software question to avoid confusion - not to add to it. Most surprising to me is the lack of any feedback to my earlier postings regarding specific CHKDSK results and WHS logs error messages. Is there anything you, or another moderator can positively identify within the technical information I supplied to match with known WHS problems and corresponding solutions?

Thanks

Sunday, February 14, 2010 8:43 PM
    I trust that Microsoft are incentivising you for your forum work, weekends included.
    You have an excellent imagination. Don't let it wither. But Microsoft doesn't pay us a penny. They (mostly) give us the opportunity to spend thousands of dollars of our own money on things like MVP Summit (Olaf is probably on his way there right now, and I'll be leaving in the morning). In other words, the real extent of their "incentivising" is that they give us the opportunity to pursue our passions, on our own dime, on our own time.

Now, as to your issues. It's probable that you have several. They could be due to hardware issues, such as a failing hard disk (and yes a brand new hard disk can fail; it's called "juvenile failure"). I've recommended a server recovery. Since you've recovered all your data already, you could do a factory reset. I can't tell you that your issues won't come back, because the original source of your issues hasn't been established, but it's the right place to start. Among other things it gives you a clean slate with which to experiment. You could, for example, try putting some of your Romaji/Kanji-named files on your server to see what happens.

Monday, February 15, 2010 12:31 AM
  • Ken

I was in Seattle a few years ago at the same time Microsoft had invited a large number of helpful individuals and contributors to an annual all expenses paid trip/get together/information exchange and I didn't come across anyone complaining - now that's incentivising from a non cash perspective and lots of kudos all around.

Regarding my issues: There may well be several however the server has been re-checked by Acer after you recommended to do so and the hard discs function normally when placed in the sata drive enclosure, which leaves the software. I want to focus on facts if available rather than guesswork hence me supplying the CHKDSK results and WHS Logs error extracts. Can you interpret the CHKDSK information and WHS log errors to help determine what type of error has occured and by doing so the likley solution?

Monday, February 15, 2010 1:05 AM
  • I don't know what event you attended, but I do know that I'm out of pocket quite a bit of money, plus a week of vacation, to attend this year's MVP Summit. And frankly I find your insinuation that I'm lying rather insulting.

I've given you some advice, to go through a server recovery or factory reset. I've just spent the last little while re-reading all of your many posts about your problems, and I still think that's your best course of action. It's not a solution, it's a problem solving step. If your problems go away afterward, you have your answer: OS or software corruption. If not, you have more information about the problem.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Ken

I think your posts yesterday as a moderator are frankly not in keeping with this forum. I passed on to you what I was advised at the time by a Microsoft rep in Seattle. Try reading the comments again in context instead of this riduculous habit of personalisation. I also noticed yesterday that you managed to respond without complaint to another thread just 40 minutes after giving me another personalisation regarding weekends, people have lives, get used to it. I don't appreciate that at all.

Regarding the facts - clearly you do not know what the CHKDSK results mean or you are not unwilling to post what you think they mean. The WHS logs should be simple to someone more familiar with WHS. I will seek out someone with experience in this field.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 1:26 PM