wga on linux? RRS feed

• Question

• Out of sheer curiosity, I ran the Windows Genuine Advantage program on my Arch Linux based laptop via Wine and it passed - I was then permitted to download DirectX.

Just though Microsoft might be interested to know that somehow my Linux software qualifies as genuine Microsoft software.

~Stephen
    Monday, July 10, 2006 5:13 PM

Answers

• WGA Validates WINE systems, and Validates Linux systems (albiet both differently).

WINE systems undergo regular validation as they are running as Win Shells.

Linux systems by themselves validate under an "unsupported OS" and are classified differently.

I apologize for deleting your postings earlier, but they do not pertain to WGA Validation (in the most immediate sense). I'm moving to WGA Feedback + Comments as this is more informational.

Thanks!
    -phil

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:50 PM

All replies

• WGA Validates WINE systems, and Validates Linux systems (albiet both differently).

WINE systems undergo regular validation as they are running as Win Shells.

Linux systems by themselves validate under an "unsupported OS" and are classified differently.

I apologize for deleting your postings earlier, but they do not pertain to WGA Validation (in the most immediate sense). I'm moving to WGA Feedback + Comments as this is more informational.

Thanks!
    -phil

Monday, July 10, 2006 5:50 PM
  • If this is to suggest that this is intensional, it would be more appropriate not to thank me for using genuine Microsoft software. Just my two cents.
    Monday, July 10, 2006 5:58 PM
  • It is intentional as a "Catch-all" case :).

These include Vista Beta users, WIndows 2003, etc. Linux (all flavors, Fedora, Redhat, etc)

Because we do not fully validate (at this time) these systems, it is not appropriate to validate them and state "non-genuine", etc.

That being said, its also not appropriate to not fully validate those systems and also gate Genuine available software (i.e. a Vista user wanting to access certain features from download center - we don't gate that software in that experience).

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:02 PM
  • I have no macintosh system, but is that "valid" as well?
    Monday, July 10, 2006 6:08 PM
  • We validate Apple systems running Windows :). (validate it fully)

We validate apple systems running a flavor of Mac's OSX (validate it as "unsupported OS").

Monday, July 10, 2006 6:11 PM