Unable to install (Error: Check your network settings) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have successfully, and very easily, installed Live Mesh on my laptop (Gateway 141XL tablet, Vista Business SP1, Symantec AV/ZoneAlarm FW), but I can't get it to run on my desktop (Alienware - C2D CPU, NVidia nforce 4 SLI x16 Intel chipset, Kaspersky IS 2009 for AV and FW, Vista Business SP1, all drivers up to date.). I do have FolderShare, another Live service, running on both PCs, and it has been working fine for months.

My thoughts on possible issues:

1) Kaspersky has a ridiculous number of options that need to be tweaked for it to be usable nder any conditions. Does anyone else have KIS 2009 installed, and could you please post what part you have active?
    2) I have tweaked and retweaked ths system many times over. What services are needed into order to run Live Mesh, since I have disabled a few that I never used?
    3) I have 2 PCIE graphics cards - one GeForce 7950GX2, running 2 20" LCDs, and an Nvdia GeForce 8800GTS 512 driving a 24" panel. Could my wonky display setup be causing the display driver install portion to freak out?

I do not have a Live Mesh folder or any logs. I am on an admin account, UAC disabled, tried running as admin, tried running with -Force. No luck.

Thanks much

Sunday, July 27, 2008 6:07 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I saw those logs listed in an earlier post, but I didn't think I had them, as it wasn't clear I had to look for an invisible directory in my user folder to find them!

I've sent in my bug report. Thanks for your help.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:33 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Perhaps the quickest way for us to determine what might be causing the error would be to get a look at the Servicing log that should have been created when Live Mesh failed to install.  Would you mind checking %temp%\Live Mesh\ to see if you have the Servicing[0000].log?  If you do, please submit a bug report (instructions are in an Announcement at the top of the forums) with the log attached (or you can email the log to lmprev@microsoft.com and describe the problem you're having).

Thanks,

Ben.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 5:27 PM
  • After several abortive attempts, LiveMesh spontaneously finished its install on my desktop PC. However, I just can't get it to install on my UMPC (HTC Shift, Vista Business). I've tried running the installer as administrator, turning off the Vista firewall, disabling my antivirus software, turning UAC back on... Nothing. Every time I see this error:

Live Mesh
    Installer encountered errors.
    Please verify your network settings and attempt to reinstall.

I don't use a proxy, and I've tried to run the installer both while connected to my home wireless network and while out connected to mobile broadband using the device's SIM card.

I can't send in any LiveMesh logs or temp files, because they aren't created on the UMPC. When I try to click on the LiveMesh application in the Start menu, I get this error message:

The item 'MoeMonitor.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly.

Do you want to delete this shortcut?

The same happens if I click on the 'Collect Live Mesh Logs' icon.

I've also searched for the registry settings mentioned elsewhere on these boards, but they're not present on my UMPC.

Ah, and another issue (sorry): On the PC, www.mesh.com often doesn't display correctly. There's no background on the page and some of the device icons are replaced with large 'missing image' icons. The desktop page shows as completely unstyled Times New Roman text. The site does display correctly on my UMPC, however. (I just can't get Mesh installed there.) I'm able to use the Mesh website and upload files from the UMPC; it's just all the application/desktop/toolbar stuff that's missing.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue. Mesh is a promising idea -- exactly what I need -- but I'm not having much luck so far.

• Edited by hamishmacdonald Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:26 AM clarification
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Hi hamishmacdonald,

Just to clarify, you do not have a Servicing log file at either the INSTALLDIR\Setup\ or %temp%\Live Mesh\ locations on your UMPC?  But you do have the Start Menu icons (though they don't work)?  That is odd indeed.

Please go ahead and submit a bug report with as much information as you can.  Instructions for submitting a bug are in an Announcement at the top of the forums.  If you do locate a Servicing log at either of the above locations, feel free to email it to lmprev@microsoft.com and we'll look into it.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 5:33 PM
  • Sorry, I saw those logs listed in an earlier post, but I didn't think I had them, as it wasn't clear I had to look for an invisible directory in my user folder to find them!

I've sent in my bug report. Thanks for your help.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:33 PM