Network driver issue - cannot install WHS 2011 - HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• I bought an OEM version of the WHS 2011 and purchased an Intel DH61WW motherboard and an i3-3100 to use for the server.

The install goes fine but then the computer starts looking for a network device and I get an error message "Errors occurred during installation" A network device driver was not found.  Install the appropriate drivers for your network device.

I restart the computer and kill the process when it starts again, but when I insert the motherboard disc, I get nothing - express installer doesn't work and searching for the individual apps to install the drivers does nothing either (I get new errors!).

Also, what drivers do I use to install?  I read some posts saying to use 2003 WHS drivers, but Intel does not make WHS drivers for desktop motherboards.

Anyone have experience with installing WHS 2011 on Intel products?  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sunday, August 14, 2011 3:44 AM

Answers

• I can't speak for your mobo specifically, but in general people have had issues getting the Intel drivers on for WHS--Intel goes out of their way to make it hard for non-Win7/Vista "desktop" OS installations.

See http://www.missingremote.com/guide/installing-server-os-intel-media-series-motherboards for the directions I found and more or less followed ot get them installed on my DQ67EPB3 board.

The secret is to get the driver files extraceted from the Intel ProWin network drivers installer and to hand walk the WHS installer into that when you get to the WHS mid-install complaint that "Network drivers could not be found" shortly after the first mid-install boot

• Marked as answer by btdog Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:07 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:35 PM

All replies

• Use the Windows 7 x64 driver, and make sure your server is connected to your network via a cable during installation.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 4:43 AM
  • I am not sure what process you are killing but when you get the message "A Network Driver ...." you go into Device manager and install the driver from there. As Ken says, use the W7 64-bit driver (if there is not a Windows Server 2008 R2 version available) which should be on your motherboard disk or best to download the latest version onto say a USB stick in advance. Don't use Server 2003 drivers unless nothing else works.
    Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, August 14, 2011 1:24 PM
  • I can't speak for your mobo specifically, but in general people have had issues getting the Intel drivers on for WHS--Intel goes out of their way to make it hard for non-Win7/Vista "desktop" OS installations.

See http://www.missingremote.com/guide/installing-server-os-intel-media-series-motherboards for the directions I found and more or less followed ot get them installed on my DQ67EPB3 board.

The secret is to get the driver files extraceted from the Intel ProWin network drivers installer and to hand walk the WHS installer into that when you get to the WHS mid-install complaint that "Network drivers could not be found" shortly after the first mid-install boot

• Marked as answer by btdog Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:07 PM
    Monday, August 15, 2011 9:35 PM
  • Mr. Dick Watson -

Thank you so much for your answer.  That link guided me through the process (though it is not the best step-by-step guide, it did do the trick).

A few things I would like to warn others (if they use the same motherboard I do):

1.  When performing the command prompt step, be sure to look at the image provided as your guide - his instructions are not written verbatim to how you should type them in - namely he forgets to put "" around the c:\drivers\.  This is a pretty important step.  Also, in case people forgot how to get to the command prompt, click the windows button at the bottom and type "CMD"

2.  Once you've installed the drivers, be sure to restart your computer so you can finish up the installation process.

3.  Be sure to note it is the Pro1000 folder that you want, NOT the Pro100 folder.  I miscounted the zeros and had to do some searching to find the right folder.

4.  Finally, be on the safe side and check your motherboard's ethernet controller with Intel's website to make sure you install the correct drivers.

I apologize for the delay in responding, but I can only work on the computers during the weekend because I want to dedicate enough time into resolving the issue.  In this case, using the instructions on the website above took only about 30 minutes once I tried.  Again, thank you for your help; once I did it, everything was...(here it comes)...elementary, My dear Watson! (I had to do it).

Saturday, August 20, 2011 8:21 PM
  • I am trying to install WHS on an Intel Atom D525MW mobo/processor combo but cannot get the install to go through. I get to the WHS 2011 error stating that it cannot find a network driver. I have ctrl-alt-del and then installed the correct driver using the Windows 7 64-bit exe, and the driver installed, but I still have the little yellow warning thing in Device Manager and WHS will not finishing installing.
    Saturday, March 3, 2012 3:39 AM