none
Help, My HP MediaSmart Server is Dead - Blinking Blue Health Light

Question

• Have had the server since launch, never had a problem with it.  Today I can't access it from any of the computers.  Notice the health light is blinking blue.  Started to troubleshoot, have eliminated anything on the network being a problem, even replaced the ethernet cable.  Tried a recovery, but even the recovery software can't find the server -- nothing else has changed, such as a firewall blocking access, etc.  Any ideas?  I am stumped ... thx in advance for any tips, etc.  Right now it's a big paper weight.

David

Saturday, September 13, 2008 9:55 PM

Answers

•   Hi,
    Have you tried reseting the server - press the power button on the back of the server - the health light should start blinking. If it doesn't, you could force the server to reboot by holding the power button in for at least 4 seconds.

Also, the lights 'blink' in a sequence, this sequence hanged depending on the possible error. 

Health indicator codes when the indicator starts as blinking red
    Code Description Action
    2 blue, 1 red BIOS corrupted. Repeat power-on to validate. Contact HP Support at http://www.hp.com/support.
    2 blue, 2 red Memory failure. Contact HP Support at http://www.hp.com/support.
    1 blue, 3 red BIOS recovery source not present.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:11 PM

All replies

•   Hi,
    Have you tried reseting the server - press the power button on the back of the server - the health light should start blinking. If it doesn't, you could force the server to reboot by holding the power button in for at least 4 seconds.

Also, the lights 'blink' in a sequence, this sequence hanged depending on the possible error. 

Health indicator codes when the indicator starts as blinking red
    Code Description Action
    2 blue, 1 red BIOS corrupted. Repeat power-on to validate. Contact HP Support at http://www.hp.com/support.
    2 blue, 2 red Memory failure. Contact HP Support at http://www.hp.com/support.
    1 blue, 3 red BIOS recovery source not present.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 5:11 PM
  • Mine's blinking blue, too, and no amount of rebooting solves the problem. There is no red -- what's the action for 1 blue, 0 red?
    Monday, May 31, 2010 3:52 AM
  • I'm having the same problem. I did a server recovery which ended in a message that the recovery was successful, but when the server rebooted, it went into the blinking blue light again.

Any ideas?

• Proposed as answer by andylaw828 Sunday, October 30, 2011 5:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 21, 2010 2:56 AM
  • I'm having the same issue...fortunately all my data is on the other 3 drives. I have run Server Recovery multiple times successfully, MSS reboots but Connector Setup cannot find the server. When I remove HD in drive 1 (with the server software) and connect the HD with Apricorn DriveWire via USB to my PC, all the files are there, the server software is there...this is a mystery. Also, checked other drives and data is there.

My extremely sharp IT person is also stumped. Have been searching online for an answer with no luck.

We have also performed the recovery with the other 3 HD's out but still no luck.

We are going to back up each HD to a 2 terabyte drive and probably do a full Factory Reset tomorrow on drive 1 and then put HD 2,3 & 4 back in their slot and hope the server comes back to life, if we don't find a solution or figure out what the constant blinking blue health light means. 

If I find the answer or we do the Factory Reset and it does the trick I'll let you know.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Unbelievable...patience...after writing my prior I got a phone call...after 30 minutes in noticed the blue LED on drive 1 lit up and the health light started pulsing blue. The Home Server Connector found the server and started installing the Home Connector. So I think the key is giving the Server at least 30 minutes (maybe a few hours) after the recovery reboot. 

I'm going through Home Server Setup...and will post the results.

Cross your fingers

Wednesday, July 21, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Hi T -

I'm in the same situation.  Just curious if everything worked after all?

Wednesday, August 04, 2010 5:20 AM
  • How's Life? Turns out in my case the system with a blinking health light is doing a chkdsk and can take some time depending on the drive sizes My system had all blue lights solid, tho we could ping the server - we could not access via console or rdp and had to turn it off. No one waited long enough at start but, I let it go for about 20 min and all the lights came on as normal Whew!!
    Friday, August 06, 2010 12:37 AM
  • my hp mediasmart was working fine until I plugged in an external USB HD. I tried to add the drive and it said it was in use by another program, then the server hung. I unplugged the USB drive and power cycled the WHS and now have the blinking blue health light. it's been blinking overnight, about 10 hours so far.

is it really just going through a chkdsk?  

I've never done a server recovery, where can I find info on how to do that if I have to?

thx.

Friday, January 28, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Hi, I'm in the same situation, too.

The Health light is still blinking even put overnight. The problem always be there no matter doing chkdsk, rebooting or replug-in HDD.

BTW, I'm unable to recover server now because it always show me "Failure" in step3 of 4. What does it mean??

Could anyone resolve the problem?

Thanks.

==

Jason

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 8:53 AM
  • Same issue here - Started a check disk, server restarted, now flashing blue, with no drive lights for 24 hours.  Can't possibly be still running, right (1.5 TB Drive)?  Can't remote in or even get a ping. 

Anyone ever find an answer?

Tuesday, May 24, 2011 12:41 AM
  • I had the blinking blue health light and no connectivity. It turned out to be a bad main HD.
    Thursday, August 22, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Mine did this, primary HDD failure.
    Monday, November 04, 2013 11:03 PM
  • Wow!  Looks like this is quite current!  Mine is blinking blue too and no drive lights.  I suspect I may have a bad system hard drive (I do see all 4 drive lights light up read when I power off/on).  Could someone please provide a pointer to the steps for replacing/recovering the system hard drive?  I guess it would also be good if I could figure out a way to connect the system disk directly to my laptop but I believe I need some sort of hardware to do this (take it out of the mediasmart server).  Is that the best next step?  (to mount the system drive on my laptop).  Presumably this is the top drive right?  I on power up I do hear an access and then nothing.

Thanks!

Peter

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:28 PM
  • Hi,

I went ahead and ordered a Apricorn DriveWire via USB  presumably I can try to mount the topmost hard drive on my laptop and see if I can access it...

Peter

Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:33 PM
  • Hi!

I connected the Apricorn to the top drive in my media smart server and after messing with it for a while it is clear that the drive is bad.  Interestingly when I do the same thing to drive #2 (also 200GB drive) it says the drive needs to be re-formatted - I would have guessed this drive would have been a mirror of the system disk. 

I was able successfully mount the next 2 drives (and can see my files with the Apricorn which is nice!).  So the next step apears to be re-installing the media smart server software on a working hard drive...  I'm going to do some more reading here and see

1) if I can restore the system image to another 500%G segate barracuda like I have in slots 3 & 4

2) where the heck I can find the image to load back in

3) wether the system once re-loaded will correctly identify and re-connect back to my data drives 3 & 4.  and what the heck is on drive 2 does it really need to be re-formatted i.e. has it not been used all this time?

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

peter

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Peter:

Thanks for your post. It's a bit of light in an otherwise dark sea of no answers. I have an HP MediaSmart Server and all my stuff is on it. All my pictures and the music I've recorded with my band etc. Just today the health light has begun blinking blue and red. There's nothing I can do to access the files and I recently moved so I can't find the disks. It sounded I like you could see the files with the Apricorn. How does that work and can you get the files off the server using this hardware? I'm desperate to get my stuff back and I'd be happy to invest in whatever will do the job. I'll check this blog an again soon so if you get this and have any answers I'd be most appreciative. Thanks, Acegilco 

Tuesday, December 10, 2013 12:47 AM