Moving Microsoft CRM 4.0 to new data centre(Change IP Address) RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Expert,

My client is planning to move CRM Server into New Data Centre which will change the IP Address of Servers.
    Could you please provide me all the reference where i need to change the IP Address( For CRM Application,DB Server, Exchange Server..) or you have any document/tutorial related to these migration. is there any registry settings to change the IP Address of CRM Server, DB Server and Exchange Server?

Version: MS CRM 4.0

Thanks in advance.
    Arvind Singh

Regards, Arvind
    Monday, October 17, 2011 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hiya,

I would install a new CRM environment and then Import the old organisation into that. That way you can also control the process, as it doesnt change anything in regards to your old CRM organisation. (Presuming that you take a backup of your CRM database first)

Monday, October 17, 2011 6:40 AM
  • Along with Jesper's suggestion, it seems like your moving everything to a COLO.

That being said, a new LDAP database, SQL server and Exchange server will be a large number of GUIDS changes.   So do an install, then import the orgainization.

I would do a test migration before I moved everything to the new environment.

Check to see which accounts have deployment administration rights. 

Recreate those accounts in the test environment for migration and the new environment.

Those accounts have the right to migrate an organization into a new environment.

There have not been a few, hard to explain errors in migrations so I strongly recommend a test migration.   Also be aware of IP versions, HBA adaptor drivers and Switch IOS versions.

They could cause issues with packet sizes.

I've not seen much documentation regarding these pitfals we see in the field, so it's best to plan for them and know that beyond the software level the "Road" may be the problem.

Hope all this helps.

Curtis J Spanburgh
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:44 PM