none
Are operating files only within Windows (C:) or are Word and Excel files ok in Documents and (C:) folders in 8.1? RRS feed

• Question

• A Microsoft tech said "oh-oh" when he saw Word and Excel files, and I think other files, in Windows (C:). He said only operating files should be in that folder or a user might delete an operating file by mistake. I have Word and Excel files in both (C:) and Documents folders. There is some overlap but there are different files in each. When I open a Word file it defaults to (C:) not Documents. Sometimes default location is SkyDrive. So unpredictability is my experience. The questions are what is correct default and how to make it so.

Microsoft store in San Diego transferred files from old computer to new one and this default is how the computer was set up.

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 7:26 PM

Answers

• Hi, Tyro.

What a mess. Usually system files in the Windows folder are protected from being deleted by users, but not all of them.

Here are some ideas:

Go back to the Microsoft store and tell them to fix it. They caused it, it was their mistake, they are responsible to fix it.

If that is not possible because they are too far away... find another Microsoft Store if possible and have them fix it.

Last resort: If it was me, I'd just back up all the files that I care about onto my SkyDrive (now OneDrive) account or a reliable thumb drive. Then do a factory re-image. Maybe back up the files and make the MS store do it. If I had purchased Office 2013 (it sounds like you have Office 2013), then I would have them reinstall that as well.

Keep the store involved because it is their fault.

At least call the MS store in San Diego and ask them what they suggest. Put them on the spot. They are the ones that screwed up and are responsible for the copying process.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 8:43 PM
    Answerer