CRM 2013 Licensing Differences, Professional vs. Basic RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I'm trying to dissect this license structure and I'm having some trouble doing so.  We have an on-prem solution and are looking to push to 2013 by Q2 this year, this includes adjusting our licensing to more accommodate what users will use.  In CRM 2013, can someone help align what the differences are between Professional and Basic CALs?  I have the Quick Reference Guide, which points out that Professional CALs allow the following features over Basic (and Essentials):

• Customize and administer Dynamics CRM
    • Manage system dashboards, charts, workflows, and dialogs
    • Marketing lists and campaigns
    • Customer service automation
    • Sales automation

The way this sounds is that Professional CALs are aimed more at the CRM Team (my team) and team leads/managers throughout the company.  I don't believe that Joe Smith up in Customer Care needs any of those features because he's just taking calls, creating cases, launching dialogs/workflows, and creating appointments.  However, Joe's boss, Doug, may need to manage his team within CRM whenever a new member joins or existing member leaves, meaning he's require use of the "Customize and administer Dynamics CRM" piece.

In summary, the regular employee doesn't need much more than a Basic CAL to do their work in CRM while the administrator(s) of CRM as well as team leads/managers may require Professional.  Does this sound about right?

• Edited by Josh Waclawski Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:37 PM Grammar Correction
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 1:36 PM

Answers

• I agree with most of your analysis. However, certain OOB features are not available with Basic CAL (Atricles, Contracts, Opportunities etc.,) So make sure your users don't need these features. Check this blog for a little more detail.

Also refer the Use Rights by Microsoft Dynamics CAL SAL table in https://partner.microsoft.com/download/global/40196601

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Edited by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Josh Waclawski Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:20 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:26 PM

All replies

• If I recall, Basic also doesn't support access to custom entities. So if you're normal process for work includes any customizations, Basic might not work for anyone. Pro is the evolution of the normal, full CRM license that has been used in previous versions of CRM, and generally is the one you want for a user of CRM.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:09 PM
  • You know, it does not mention that on this sheet nor in the longer licensing article released in August.  I did some testing and a user with a Basic license can access our custom entities just fine, so I don't know if that's it.  
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:19 PM
  • I agree with most of your analysis. However, certain OOB features are not available with Basic CAL (Atricles, Contracts, Opportunities etc.,) So make sure your users don't need these features. Check this blog for a little more detail.

Also refer the Use Rights by Microsoft Dynamics CAL SAL table in https://partner.microsoft.com/download/global/40196601

If my response helps you in finding your answer then please click 'Mark as Answer' and 'Vote as Helpful'

• Edited by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:37 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Mamatha Swamy Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Josh Waclawski Thursday, January 16, 2014 8:20 PM
    Thursday, January 16, 2014 6:26 PM
  • Holy hell, that was exactly what I was looking for!  I was about to plan out building that chart on my own, but I wasn't looking forward to the hours it would take.

Thank you!

Thursday, January 16, 2014 7:07 PM