What to do? Client Computer Backups Folder > 2TB RRS feed

• General discussion

• Despite a draconian client computer backup retention policy on our home clients, the Client Computer Backups Folder has grown to > 2TB.  How to continue backups of the WHS 2011 when this happens?  I understand the issues around this, but I usually don't give up easily. 

I don't feel like setting up System Center DPM for my home although that's an option.  I've made my vote for GPT support in WHS 2011 @ Connect: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/646106/client-gpt-system-backup-in-whs-2011-fails-at-1 . 

We've run WHS at home since the beginning and it is a very cool and easy-to use product.  We've already moved "static data" from client to server, etc, but with several teenagers, everyones music, picture, and video libraries growing, and hard disks growing too, we're at the end of that road.  

There are similar threads, I know.  Just want to keep the issue active. 

Think I'll virtualize two WHS 2011 in the same box and split the clients between them.  Anyone done that?  What problems came up? 

Sunday, February 26, 2012 12:50 AM

All replies

• The 2 TB limitation, and other limitations that revolve around it, is a result of the way server backups are taken, and that is part of the base OS, not Windows Home Server per se. Since it would require a change to server backup in Windows Server 2008 R2, you shouldn't look for it to happen in this version of WHS.

The best advice I can give is for you to look around and see if you can find a backup solution that will run on Windows Home Server that can handle large backups.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 26, 2012 2:15 AM
  • Thanks Ken for the prompt response.  I rarely visit these forums as you can see.  Like I said, I understand the issues, but I don't give up easily.  I use DPM at work. 

You can simply set shares on WHS as targets for backup on each client if you have Vista or Win 7 Pro just like with NAS backup.  Our Windows servers are managed to keep any volume less than 2TB and there can be many of these volumes on a single machine.  All our SQL are set up that way.  That's a good policy even if you have DPM which via GPT allows >2TB.  But you can't divide the Client Computer Backups folder on WHS because all client backups are to a single MBR .VHD.  WHS could have a .VHD for each client, but it doesn't and thus the 2TB limit and we're stuck in a way that you aren't with the base OS.

I'm playing with the dual virtual WHS 2011 on VM right now.  I think it will be a solution and keep my family safe and happy (they hate change unless it's their idea) until Windows "Next Generation ;-)" which will have more GPT support.

Anyone had any experience with dual virtual WHS 2011?

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:15 AM
  • On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 00:50:24 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

Think I'll virtualize?two WHS 2011 in the same box and split the clients between them.? Anyone done that?? What problems came up?

Aside from requiring an additional license for the second server, there
    shouldn't be an issue.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    On line:  A statement shouted at tennis judges in response to serves being
    called out.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Thanks Paul.  I have two keys.  My issue now is how it will run on something less that the watt-burner it's on now.  I"ll try it on an HP Media Center 495 tomorrow.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:13 AM
  • On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 04:13:53 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

Thanks Paul.? I have two keys.? My issue now?is how it?will run?on something less that the watt-burner it's on now.? I"ll try it on an HP?Media Center 495 tomorrow.

Are these retail/OEM keys or TechNet/MSDN keys?

Paul Adare
    Software:  Typically silk nighties, nylons, garter belts.  Contrast with
    hardware.

Sunday, February 26, 2012 4:22 AM
  • A couple of comments:

The 2 TB limitation exists in the base OS. If you use the GUI for Server Backup in Windows Server 2008 R2, you can create a single scheduled backup. This is the backup that Windows Home Server configures. It's certainly possible to define any number of additional backups via scheduled tasks running wbadmin with appropriate parameters, but Windows Home Server won't do this for you. DPM is a very different tool; you're comparing apples and oranges if you compare it to server backup.

I think you're expecting Microsoft to add more support for GPT disks in this version of Windows Home Server. I personally doubt that this will happen (though I'd love to be proved wrong), since full support for GPT disks in the server storage pool implies the ability to back those disks up, and I've already pointed out that this would require a change in Windows Server 2008 R2, not just Windows Home Server. You can already back larger disks up to your server, though it's really sort of pointless to do so unless you add a GPT disk to server storage just for your backup database. And then you're back to the question of how to back the database up...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5:06 AM
  • Well, can't get it to run on ex495.  These are TechNet/MSDN keys.  Why the question?
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:34 PM
  • Yes Ken, you're correct.
    Sunday, February 26, 2012 9:39 PM
  • On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:34:48 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

Well, can't get it to run on ex495.? These are TechNet/MSDN keys.? Why the question?

Those keys are for development/testing usage only, they don't provide you
    with a legal license to use the products available in an ongoing,
    production environment, and yes, in this case, your use of them in a home
    setting constitutes an ongoing, production environment.

Paul Adare
    Old mail has arrived.

Monday, February 27, 2012 1:52 AM
  • What to do?  Here is the KISS answer (for this weekend,for me anyway).

Two WHS 2011 on one home LAN.  One ex495 and one ex470 each with 2x2TB drives.  The two clients plus media streaming on the ex495 and three clients on the other. 

During WHS 2011 connector install you have the choice of server.  Performance is good.  GbE LAN adequate.  No issues so far.  Average power < 150 watts combined.  The "old" Tyan and Supermicro boxes I play with at home are close to 300 watts each at idle.

The server backup volumes should be < 1.5TB on each (I hope - - the initial client backups are still running) so the plan is to backup to the second disk on each other.  I'll let you know how this works out.

Monday, February 27, 2012 2:00 AM
  • On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:34:48 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

Well, can't get it to run on ex495.? These are TechNet/MSDN keys.? Why the question?

Those keys are for development/testing usage only, they don't provide you
    with a legal license to use the products available in an ongoing,
    production environment, and yes, in this case, your use of them in a home
    setting constitutes an ongoing, production environment.

Paul Adare

It all booted up on the ex495 with 4GB but wasn't stable.  The box was heating up too.

Paul, I think it a bit rude of you to publicly nag me about license in a forum.  Was that response boilerplate?  Is that part of your official capacity or do you just enjoy that sort of thing? 

In case you were wondering, all of our software used at home is retail/OEM. 

I still have retail 5-1/4" floppies with MS-DOS 1.0 and Windows 1.01.  I switched from Wordstar to Word 3.0 (crashed a lot) when I did my PhD thesis.  I've upgraded regularly and legally since then.

Testing finished.  WHS 2011 $52.99 x 2 @ amazon are on the way. 

To my dismay my teenagers and even my wife are agitating to switch to Apple!

Young whippersnappers!!

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:26 AM
  • On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 07:26:54 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

Paul, I think it a bit rude of you to publicly nag me about license in a forum.? Was that response boilerplate?? Is that part of your official capacity or do you just enjoy that sort of thing?

None of the above and I wasn't nagging you, you took my post the wrong way.
    I was simply pointing out the facts, nothing more, nothing less. It
    constantly amazes me the number of people who don't seem to realize that
    using Technet/MSDN licenses at home constitutes a violation of the EULA.
    When I point this out, I never get into a long, drawn out debate on the
    issue, I simply point out the fact and then move on.

Paul Adare
    MIPS:  Meaningless Indicator of Processor Speed.

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:33 AM
  • On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 07:26:54 +0000, 532nmFlash wrote:

To my dismay my teenagers and even my wife are agitating to switch to Apple!

If they move to Macs, make sure that you've installed at least Update
    Rollup 1 for your WHS box. There's a conflict between the Mac OS and the
    WHS Launcher that runs on the client as the Mac OS apparently also contains
    an application called Launcher. This is fixed as of Update Rollup 1.

Paul Adare
    God is real, unless declared integer.

Monday, February 27, 2012 7:35 AM
  • Thanks for the case study Flash.  Probably not a solution I can use so I guess i'll need to find some 3rd party backup solutions. Do you have any suggestions/experience?

Are these retail/OEM keys or TechNet/MSDN keys?

btw, the above adds exactly 0 to this conversation. Please keep your personal vendetta out of an otherwise usefull thread.
    Friday, June 29, 2012 5:32 PM