none
Why is everything so buggy? RRS feed

• Question

• It took me 10 times to get code onto a page, and I had to click the submit button about 15 before I finally gave up looking at "there was an error" messages.

When I check again later, I find that it posted... over and over again.

Then, when I find some more code is over the limit, when I try to delete it - I can't, and stamp my backspace key in frustration.

Hopefully I'll be able to post my topic in another hour, but I really have to wonder - why is this forum so buggy?

Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    Tuesday, August 5, 2008 8:18 PM

Answers

• It took me 10 times to get code onto a page, and I had to click the submit button about 15 before I finally gave up looking at "there was an error" messages.

Then, when I find some more code is over the limit, when I try to delete it - I can't, and stamp my backspace key in frustration.

Hopefully I'll be able to post my topic in another hour, but I really have to wonder - why is this forum so buggy?

Let's get back to this issue. It no longer takes 10 attempts to get code on a page. The new code feature works much better for me than it has in the past. I love the border and the colors, even if it's not perfect. So this bug is currently fixed.

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:12 AM
    Owner

All replies

• This issue seems to be fixed by Forum updates.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:22 AM
    Owner
  • Ed, as fascinating as it is to watch you dig up four year old issues and mark them closed, I wonder if it couldn't be done in a separate history forum or something, so as not to interfere with issues that are current.

Considering the many new bugs, including some serious enough to keep users entirely off the forum, I mean, are we to conclude from your activity that the typical time to fix a bug on the forum is on the order of four years?

Thanks,

Josh

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:34 AM
  • That's a nice conclusion! I think 4 years should be enough to fix a bug, does not matter how serious it is. But from the issues Ed digging up some are not yet fixed!

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:40 AM
  • That's a nice conclusion! I think 4 years should be enough to fix a bug, does not matter how serious it is. But from the issues Ed digging up some are not yet fixed!

My blog

There have been a few good ones. I'd rather not leave those people behind. They deserve some resolution... whether the issues are fixed or should still be open.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:07 AM
    Owner
  • Ed, as fascinating as it is to watch you dig up four year old issues and mark them closed, I wonder if it couldn't be done in a separate history forum or something, so as not to interfere with issues that are current.

Considering the many new bugs, including some serious enough to keep users entirely off the forum, I mean, are we to conclude from your activity that the typical time to fix a bug on the forum is on the order of four years?

Thanks,

Josh

Less than four years. And I wasn't around the forums three years ago, or else I would have tried to resolve them back then. And some of these bugs are still serious and still need to be resolved. I won't know whether or not they still exist until I test them and find out. And you don't need to click these threads and read them if you don't want to.

That said, I can give you a break, since this forum has had more new bugs these last two weeks than usual (because of the TechNet forum re-branding update).

Thanks for the feedback!

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:08 AM
    Owner

Let's get back to this issue. It no longer takes 10 attempts to get code on a page. The new code feature works much better for me than it has in the past. I love the border and the colors, even if it's not perfect. So this bug is currently fixed.

Monday, February 20, 2012 10:12 AM
    Owner
  • That said, I can give you a break, since this forum has had more new bugs these last two weeks than usual (because of the TechNet forum re-branding update).

Thanks for the feedback!

Ed - You might want to post this to a common location.  It is clear that many have not been able to guess that teh forum is being updated.

Many things are better.  Some are still in flux.  Hopefully someone is collecting legitimate issues as users may hit on 'bugs' and deficiencies before the developers detect them.

Anyway - thanks for the update. 

(perhaps a little banner on the forums saying "Be patient while we renovate - click for more info")

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:23 PM
  • That said, I can give you a break, since this forum has had more new bugs these last two weeks than usual (because of the TechNet forum re-branding update).

Thanks for the feedback!

Ed - You might want to post this to a common location.  It is clear that many have not been able to guess that teh forum is being updated.

Many things are better.  Some are still in flux.  Hopefully someone is collecting legitimate issues as users may hit on 'bugs' and deficiencies before the developers detect them.

Anyway - thanks for the update. 

(perhaps a little banner on the forums saying "Be patient while we renovate - click for more info")

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes. The product team logs them as bugs. Thanks!

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:09 PM
    Owner
  • I am glad to hear that the product team is marking all of those issues we complain about as bugs. Is there not some way that we can get some kind of an idea on where these bugs may be sitting in the queue awaiting resolution and what the relative priorities are.

In our lengthy discussions about recent changes I feel we have gone a bit astray and gone too far into detailed aspects of the various features that some of us see as problems. The real problem is not that we don't like scroll bars and that others detest wrapped code. The real issue is that the forums lack a consistent method for presenting code in a way that makes it readily readable by all and that doesn't cause great frustration for any. I suggested a button to switch modes, however, we could also have a button to download into notepad, or display in a separate browser window in a fixed font style.

In some of these more recent threads We have also raised a number of issues that remain unanswered and unresolved. Some of these speak to issues at a higher level than what colour a control should be. If we had answers to some of these things, it might help us deal with the frustrations we have been expressing here. If I mention any names, I hope none of this will be taken personally; I'm just looking for information:

1. there seems to be a bit of a correlation between the personal preferences of the MS staff that moderate here and what winds up being delivered. Yes, this could be because they are both right, but... I expect that is why Naomi asked in thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/9a3344f9-9e14-459a-9349-77466f7bc823 "who determines what is 10 times more annoying?", and why I suggested this was a valid question that deserved an answer. I'm reading throught he thread again, but not actually finding an answer. Sure, a number responded with "not me", but that is not a complete answer.

==> clearly a design decision has been made here. I would just like to know the rationale behind it, and how differing opinions were considered in the process. Was the level of annoyance of the various aspects quantified and compared, and, if so, what metrics were used?

2. there seem to be a number of suggestions that problems are "browser specific" or are related to caching and refreshing. There once was a time when the goal of any web-based application was to stick to standards, be browser agnostic, and not depend on client configurations in order to operate as designed. Has this changed when I wasn't looking?

3. on the issue of the lack of visual contrast between the different statuses that a thread can have (see thread http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/thread/d339efce-6ef1-41c4-8ce9-6b004d5be231), you said "it is what it is", wondered how common a problem it might be, and suggested that changes will only be made to correct what can be identified as an actual "bug". You asked for some especifics about what constitutes this problem. I put a fair amount of thought into my response, in which I state that this was not actually a bug, but a questionable design from the point of view of a concept called "accessibility". I included a link to the "web content accessibility guidelines" as well as to Microsoft's own guidelines on this topic. Again no answer.

I find the lack of response to some of these honestly asked questions annoying and perhaps even somewhat disrespectful. I am sure you have had situations where you asked a poster questions but were not supplied with an answer. In fact, I know that to be the case.

I may sound like an incessant complainer here, but, please believe me, I have never submitted a post just for the sake of doing so. I am equally sure that The others complaining in these discussions are doing so respectfully.

So, do you have any answers for us?

Al Dunbar

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:49 PM
  • @Al

Note that 're branding' is what is happening. I suspect this means there Will be even more drastic changes as we move forward.  I think 'bugs' are on the back burner except for the most egregious ones due to the drive to create a newer and more consistent 'brand experience'.

This was done to MSDN with mixed responses.  I still find much of MSDN much less usable than the old slow, klunky inconsistent MSDN.  The new version has many advantages so it may improve with time.  The plus for forums and MSDN is that with the newer interface and server deployment we may see the a fast deployment of more useful changes after the transition has been completed.  A similar thing was done to Connect and to the Partner sites and they are both very rich in funcion and presentation.

I think we just have to wait and see though I will keep lobbying for a 'Code Copy' button.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, March 1, 2012 11:35 PM
  • You are likely right, as Ed had made numerous comments about this re-branding concept. Still, it seems ill advised to re-brand the company as one that has forgotten its previous commitments to accessibility.

Al Dunbar

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:16 AM
  • You are likely right, as Ed had made numerous comments about this re-branding concept. Still, it seems ill advised to re-brand the company as one that has forgotten its previous commitments to accessibility.

Al Dunbar

Thanks for your valuable opinion. You all have made excellent points. If anyone agrees with Al, I suggest including this info (maybe with specifics about what makes it poor usability/accessibility) in the Site Feedback link for TechNet Forums. Thanks, Al!

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:35 AM
    Owner

Al Dunbar

Ed - I think the rebranding is only about htis site and th eforums. MS seems to be looking for a sleeker more friendly look.

Of course that may not be at all what they mean by 're-branding' and Ed is good at not giving us any clues ;)

We can only hope that it all works out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, March 2, 2012 1:50 AM
  • I take eberything back.  Toniught teh behavior of the edit controls are hoorendous.  The bold and italic buttons jump all over and do not change the text highlighted.  The code insertiong inserts nothing.  CLick insert and nothing happens any more.

I think the guys building this are mssing something about web development.

Perhaps they work for Apple. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, March 2, 2012 2:15 AM
  • I take eberything back.  Toniught teh behavior of the edit controls are hoorendous.  The bold and italic buttons jump all over and do not change the text highlighted.  The code insertiong inserts nothing.  CLick insert and nothing happens any more.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Code Insert

Worked for me. Can you repro?

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:29 AM
    Owner
  • Ed - I think the rebranding is only about htis site and th eforums. MS seems to be looking for a sleeker more friendly look.

Of course that may not be at all what they mean by 're-branding' and Ed is good at not giving us any clues ;)

We can only hope that it all works out.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm good at not giving you clues? To what? =^)

The rebranding seems to coincide with the metro style change (from the aero style of Windows 7). So they have to think what Metro means for TechNet specifically. It was a pretty big change for a lot of reasons (formatting, style, some bug fixes and other feature changes). So they've been making tweaks steadily. For example, a lot of initial bugs have been fixed. But you can get to this forum right now with the Microsoft branding (which is close to the previous TechNet style).

Friday, March 2, 2012 5:33 AM
    Owner

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Code Insert

Worked for me. Can you repro?

Many flakey things are happening intermittently.

I just obtained this error:

Line: 124424273
    Char: 16947
    Code: 0
    URI: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/fb54612b-2078-434d-9874-2cbcc0785bc1

The cursor becomes stuck at teh bottom of the edit box and cannot crate a new line. ALl attempts to create a new line cause teh cursor to jump to thhe beginning of the edit box or to another location on the page.  The error flag appears on teh lower left and the above error is the last in a list of errors.

Here is the full error stack.

Webpage error details
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 5.1; Trident/4.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; MS-RTC LM 8; InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; OfficeLiveConnector.1.5; OfficeLivePatch.1.3; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E)
    Timestamp: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 12:39:55 UTC
    Char: 3584
    URI: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ITCG/thread/fb54612b-2078-434d-9874-2cbcc0785bc1
    Char: 3584

I have found that I can get out of this by copying the text I have entered and then refreshing the page.  Start the reply again and paste in the copied code.  THe edit session will usually work correctly.

If I had to guess I would say that something that refreshes part of the page in the background is damaging the HTML in the edit control.  When there is no <p> or <br> at the end of the control it becomes impossible to add a line.

The issues with the code insertion may becaused by the same thing.  It is intermittent.  If the code issue happens again I will try and capture more information.

One thing I think I am seeing is that the longer the edit session is the more likely there will be an issue.  Possibly the session is  timing out on the server or the Ajax updates are failing.  This may also have something to do with changes happening on the server farm.

I am not really to concerned as I suspect this will be worked out.  I am just posting in case it might be useful to the developers.  These kinds of things are sometimes hard to detect in web development test sets.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, March 2, 2012 12:55 PM
  • I just added this from IE9 on WS2008R2. No insert code toolbar on the edit control. The page acts like it is not using Javascript but javascript is enabled and other elements like login to MSN work. The same page on Widows 7 32 bit works perfectly with IE9.
    • Edited by jrv Friday, March 2, 2012 1:16 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:06 PM
  • This is what my edit boxes look like on this thread after insert a reply from WS2008R2.  The page HTML is now broken.

<tried to insert an image here but the image editor no longer works on the thread>

Close browser and restart.  I now have buttons and can insert an image:

This is the image of the edit box when it breaks.  After inserting this image I can no longer add text after teh image.  Any attempt to add text after teh image causes teh inserion point to jump to a place before the image.

I cannot move above this line except to go to the top of the document. Arrow keys are useless going up and work going down.

I can force the carat to be placed below the signature line and enter text but I have to go to the end and move up with arrow keys.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Edited by jrv Friday, March 2, 2012 1:27 PM
    Friday, March 2, 2012 1:21 PM

Al Dunbar

Thanks for your valuable opinion. You all have made excellent points. If anyone agrees with Al, I suggest including this info (maybe with specifics about what makes it poor usability/accessibility) in the Site Feedback link for TechNet Forums. Thanks, Al!

You are welcome.

But, in addition to sharing the opinions you refer to as valuable, I also asked for answers to a couple of previously ignored questions. Did I not make it clear enough that my aim in doing so was to have these fairly straight-forward questions finally answered?

Al Dunbar

Saturday, March 3, 2012 4:26 AM
  • Naomi, I can't repro these symptoms: "It took me 10 times to get code onto a page, and I had to click the submit button about 15 before I finally gave up looking at "there was an error" messages."

This particular bug is now fixed.

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:22 AM
    Owner

Al Dunbar

You are welcome.

But, in addition to sharing the opinions you refer to as valuable, I also asked for answers to a couple of previously ignored questions. Did I not make it clear enough that my aim in doing so was to have these fairly straight-forward questions finally answered?

Al Dunbar

Ah. The questions are embedded. I found them. The people who should really feel disrespect are the people who asked questions 3+ years ago and haven't gotten a reply (like this thread). Which is why I'm slowly working on those (and why Naomi, others, and I are working on the current ones).

1. Brent does. He owns the forums. In having to choose between the scrollbars and randomly truncating code (and thus making copy and paste useless), he chose the former. Makes sense to me. There has been at least one fix on the scrollbars to get them working. If another fix is necessary, then let's deal with that.

2. As far as I know, we're dependent on 3 or so different platforms (including Telligent and the Telerik editor). And then all the browsers are constantly being updated. And they all have to be compatible. Brent has said he's open to suggestions, so if you know of an editor that is perfect, please let him know. (We've also found compatibility issues between editors and the platform, in addition to the various browser udates.)

3. Make sure you call out the individual accessibility issues in threads (probably one thread per issue). Accessibility issues are viable bugs (very important). Make a case for each issue (like the color/symbol issue).

Thanks!

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:39 AM
    Owner
  • @Ed - you aint going to win that way.

Connect won't help either.

I suggest and have suggested that you start a bug list and let moderators add to it.  There shoule bevoting butons (a'la Connect) that allow users to get 'on board' with an issue. High numbers pop to the top.

In the end 'triahe' will determine what is addressed.

The site works wel lon IE8 and IE9(32 bit).  It is hoorendous on IE9 on 64 bit and same for other non-IE browsers.  Some developer needs to test through all of this.  It looks like browser detection is failing and dorpping back to unknown.  I get those old "I am on a mobile device that is unknown" screens - you know - test only.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, March 4, 2012 3:55 AM
  • @Ed - you aint going to win that way.

Connect won't help either.

I suggest and have suggested that you start a bug list and let moderators add to it.  There shoule bevoting butons (a'la Connect) that allow users to get 'on board' with an issue. High numbers pop to the top.

In the end 'triahe' will determine what is addressed.

The site works wel lon IE8 and IE9(32 bit).  It is hoorendous on IE9 on 64 bit and same for other non-IE browsers.  Some developer needs to test through all of this.  It looks like browser detection is failing and dorpping back to unknown.  I get those old "I am on a mobile device that is unknown" screens - you know - test only.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What do you mean by "you aint going to win that way"?

Doesn't Connect have those features you listed?

Thanks!

Sunday, March 4, 2012 4:12 AM
    Owner

• Doesn't Connect have those features you listed?

Thanks!

Sorry about the typo - it should be 'triage'.

Connect is tailored to applications and traditional patch cycles.  Forums are much looser as they are web sites and subject to very fast turn around times.

I Very much recommend a looser but structured reporting method.  A simple page of bugs with a voting button and a request to log a new bug would be easier and more appropriate for a web forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, March 4, 2012 5:24 AM
  • I've got a theoretical question for you...

Which solution would make the most sense (none are ideal)...?

1. This solution. Community member reports a bug by starting a thread. Forum team checks to see if the bug exists. If so, team member mentions it (which is then the answer to the thread). If not, team member adds bug and mentions it (which is then the answer to the thread). If the stars align (it's an easy fix, high priority, and the team has the availability), the bug is quickly fixed (no need to add it to the backlog), and the team member mentions that. We could refine the "voting" process by asking all users to vote for the top thread post if they also are experiencing this bug. But there's no good way to manage the comparisons of those bugs/votes.

2. TechNet Wiki - We maintain a table on the Wiki. We vote manually, somehow. Maybe add your name if you experience the bug. Then we can manually maintain a top list. (This actually isn't bad, now that I think about it... just a little time consuming and not automatic or tool-centric.)

3. Connect - Use the existing bug reporting/voting/commenting features, even though the program wasn't designed for Web.

Thanks!

Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:14 AM
    Owner
  • That is a cinch and I like your idea.

2 of course.  Use a Wiki or similar tool to report and track issues.  Tying it drirectly to the forums would be best.

(I just watched 'Rock Around the Clock' - absolutely cool)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, March 4, 2012 6:42 AM
  • That is a cinch and I like your idea.

2 of course.  Use a Wiki or similar tool to report and track issues.  Tying it drirectly to the forums would be best.

(I just watched 'Rock Around the Clock' - absolutely cool)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay. I'll run the Wiki solution by the Forum team and see if they agree. If we used the Wiki method, we'd probably keep this forum open (in order to chat freely about the issues), but we would then send people to the Wiki to log an issue as a bug.

Thanks!

Sunday, March 4, 2012 10:10 PM
    Owner
  • Okay. I'll run the Wiki solution by the Forum team and see if they agree. If we used the Wiki method, we'd probably keep this forum open (in order to chat freely about the issues), but we would then send people to the Wiki to log an issue as a bug.

Thanks!

Ed - I like that but I am not really clear on how a Wiki would work in this scenario.

It seems to me that we need to account for issues and that issues need to be selected by a small group of 'insiders'.  After an issue is accepted it needs to be posted with a good description of what constitutes the issue.  Once posted the issue would allow votes ("I have this issue too button".) and it would need to allow a simple comment limited to Twitter length records.

The development team could use these criteria to choose issues that would likely produce satisfying results.

A questionaire about browser and architecture would be extremely useful.

KISS - but make it work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sunday, March 4, 2012 11:07 PM
  • For any issues on the colorizer users should feel free to log the issue to the open source site for the code we are using that does the colorization.  Users can view this test location from the open source test page to view examples. If we aren't doing things like the test page, that's our bug. Otherwise issues can be logged with the colorizer.

Community Forums Program Manager

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 6:45 PM
    Answerer
  • The colors for SQL code in that test page are wrong. Can you report that there?

Thanks.

My blog

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:02 PM
  • Brent - When I build sites/programs I am not allowedd to tell my suers that 'it;s a MIcrosoft bug - call Microsoft'

The issue need to be collected l ocally and noted to teh OpenSource site by the local developers.

The page is useful only if we want to check to see if a bug has already been noted/fixed.  I don't t5hnk that many here are that interested in tracking bugs.

Many of the issues are not with teh colorizer but are with the edit control from Telerik.  The colorizer works with some warts.  A copy lonkk can be added from the page without needing changes in teh colorizer.  After the colorizer completes it just leaves behind an HTML blocjk that displays the code.  This can be references in JavaScript and copied to the clipboard very easily 'client side'.  It should cost about 10 lines of HTML and javascript.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, March 6, 2012 8:04 PM