Capital gains / losses report RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone is using the capital gains report and get satisfactory results? It is giving me erroneous results.

I set it up it to show gains for each of my 4 trading accounts. All columns in the report are correct except the purchase price column.  One of the accounts has only one stock which was bought and sold 10 days later. I checked the purchase price recorded in the account and it is correct, but in the cap gains report it is wrong by a big amount.

I just did a level 2 repair. The log file had one line which said there were no broken records in the file.

Any ideas? Is this report known to give false results or is it worthwhile to troubleshoot it? 

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 9:31 PM

Answers

• Problem solved.

FYI - as suggested in earlier posts, i deleted the buy and sell transactions and created new ones. This fixed the problem.

I also selected only my non-registered accounts for the report, since I don't have tax payable on the sheltered accounts.

Interesting that the capital gains report uses the exchange rate input at the time of the transaction for both buy and sell. Some reports (Investment Transactions) use the current active exchange rate instead.

Wednesday, July 3, 2019 2:03 AM