Watching Films with WHS RRS feed

• Question

• So Beta 2 is all working fine, i am currently downloading CTP.

I decided to expand my use, and moved all my films and tv programs to the WHS.  300gig, it took a while!

Well before i used to stream them to my xbox 360 using transcode and ffdshow as the codec.  Worked perfectly for everything.  Films were stored on a portable HD attached to my vista ultimate PC.

Moved the files, mapped the network drive "video's" to the same letter as the old hard drive was.  Turn on xbox, cant see the films and can't play the music (also mapped to the same letter as the music HD was)

Can't browse the server network files from the xbox 360.

So my question is can i use WHS to store films and play them on my xbox 360 when they are avi's or divx or xvid in the way i used to on my pc?  Or do i have to only use xbox 360 compatable files?

If WHS doesnt do this and has no plans to be able to do it then is the only option to go back to using my main pc for media?

Has anyone else found this?

Thanks as always for your thoughts.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:44 PM

Answers

• Currently in order to stream from WHS the files must be a supported filetype of the 360. Currently only WMV files match that description.

Don't give up all hope though. Alongside the 360's spring dashboard update (which I believe is due sometime next week) support for h.264 and mpeg4 codecs are being added to the 360. We all know that xvid and divx are altered mpeg4 codecs, so really its unknown as to whether or not these two codecs will be supported with the update. Though this doesn't guarentee that the version of Media Connect built in to WHS will even offer up these videos to share.

I'm definitely hoping the codecs are supported... Given that most pirated video is distributed in xvid/divx MS has never been willing to add support for these formats. The problem is, there is legit video (many video podcasts and more) that are distributed in xvid.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out. Hopefully they decide to make it easy on the consumer and not force us to deal with the politics of supported file types.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:55 PM

All replies

• Currently in order to stream from WHS the files must be a supported filetype of the 360. Currently only WMV files match that description.

Don't give up all hope though. Alongside the 360's spring dashboard update (which I believe is due sometime next week) support for h.264 and mpeg4 codecs are being added to the 360. We all know that xvid and divx are altered mpeg4 codecs, so really its unknown as to whether or not these two codecs will be supported with the update. Though this doesn't guarentee that the version of Media Connect built in to WHS will even offer up these videos to share.

I'm definitely hoping the codecs are supported... Given that most pirated video is distributed in xvid/divx MS has never been willing to add support for these formats. The problem is, there is legit video (many video podcasts and more) that are distributed in xvid.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it all turns out. Hopefully they decide to make it easy on the consumer and not force us to deal with the politics of supported file types.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 8:55 PM
  • That's not true that the 360 will only play WMV files. If you rip a movie then rename the vob to mpeg, the 360 will play it just fine.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:19 PM
  •  Niebs wrote:
    That's not true that the 360 will only play WMV files. If you rip a movie then rename the vob to mpeg, the 360 will play it just fine.

Yeah, you are right on that one. Then again, who actually uses mpeg files anymore? Maybe you rent a movie and don't get to watch it so you rip it quickly so you can watch it then delete it... Other than that the files are too large. I'm really hoping Microsoft is saying they are supporting mpeg4 when they really mean they are supporting xvid. If they came out and said 'We support xvid! Watch all those tv shows you've downloaded on bit torrent!' - it would kind of step on the toes of all their partners in the xbox live video marketplace.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:33 PM
  • Those of us who record television using a hardware encoder card do.  There are both MPG2 and AVI (divx) hardware encoders now. I use MPEG and AVI (divx) files recorded from my BeyondTV software.  I have BTV running on WHS and it works like a champ as long as I record to a drive that isn't in the "pool" of disks.  I have a 180 gig drive on a separate pci adapter card set aside strictly for live recordings and such, and then I move the files from that disk to the Videos share after BTV showsqueezes the MPG2 recordings to AVI (divx) files automatically.

I can understand MS's position on not wanting to support third party codecs on the basis of piracy, but there are still legitimate uses for divx/xvid codecs and hopefully the 360 will support them eventually.

Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:53 PM
  •  WeezulDK wrote:

Those of us who record television using a hardware encoder card do.  There are both MPG2 and AVI (divx) hardware encoders now. I use MPEG and AVI (divx) files recorded from my BeyondTV software.  I have BTV running on WHS and it works like a champ as long as I record to a drive that isn't in the "pool" of disks.  I have a 180 gig drive on a separate pci adapter card set aside strictly for live recordings and such, and then I move the files from that disk to the Videos share after BTV showsqueezes the MPG2 recordings to AVI (divx) files automatically.

I can understand MS's position on not wanting to support third party codecs on the basis of piracy, but there are still legitimate uses for divx/xvid codecs and hopefully the 360 will support them eventually.

How did you get BTV running? I have 2 PVR-500 cards giving me the "unable to build live tv graph error" every time. What card are you using, drivers?

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 4:52 AM