What is the recommended way to upgrade hardware an OS the same day RRS feed

• Question

• I am upgrading my wife's motherboard, CPU, RAM, video card and HDD.  The new system drive is an SSD.  She is currently running Vista but will upgrade to windows 7.   Is there a way to install an upgrade version of win7 or do I have to do buy the full version?  

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this!!

Friday, March 4, 2011 1:45 AM

Answers

• Depends, if you have a valid license for a retail qualifying product (XP, Vista, 7) you can install the retail full version product, boot to windows and start the install of an upgrade windows 7 product. If the previous OS is an OEM product then you can not transfer it to the new hardware in order to upgrade. By changing the motherboard, CPU, ram, video card and hdd you have basicly created a new computer and the OEM product is licensed and tied to the previous hardware ID.

Thanks

Carl

Friday, March 4, 2011 2:10 AM
  • The short answer is likely to be that you will need to buy the full license.  If Vista came preinstalled on the computer by the manufacturer then the OEM license will be invalidated by the new motherboard.  Just because you keep a case and power supply does not make it the same computer for licensing purposes.  The motherboard is key. 

Are you sure that the sum of the parts you describe will not be more expensive than just buying a new computer to spec?  I would do the math before doing a DIY refurbish.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Answerer

All replies

• Depends, if you have a valid license for a retail qualifying product (XP, Vista, 7) you can install the retail full version product, boot to windows and start the install of an upgrade windows 7 product. If the previous OS is an OEM product then you can not transfer it to the new hardware in order to upgrade. By changing the motherboard, CPU, ram, video card and hdd you have basicly created a new computer and the OEM product is licensed and tied to the previous hardware ID.

Thanks

Carl

• The short answer is likely to be that you will need to buy the full license.  If Vista came preinstalled on the computer by the manufacturer then the OEM license will be invalidated by the new motherboard.  Just because you keep a case and power supply does not make it the same computer for licensing purposes.  The motherboard is key. 

Are you sure that the sum of the parts you describe will not be more expensive than just buying a new computer to spec?  I would do the math before doing a DIY refurbish.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Answerer