Cant Remove Steady State

Question

• I am having problems removing Steady State. I installed it to see how it worked before using. Now that i want to remove it it will not uninstall. I goto add/remove software and click remove. It gives me an error. ( cant find - steadystate.msi ) I tried to install it again to see if i could fix the problem. now i get there is already a verision running on your computer. I am an admin to my machine. Please help me remove this from my computer.

Thanks
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 5:32 PM

Answers

• Dear Cant remove Steady State,
    Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/ and select the operating system which is installed on your PC. You should be able to find assistance for this issue there.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:59 PM

All replies

• Dear Cant remove Steady State,
    Please visit http://support.microsoft.com/ and select the operating system which is installed on your PC. You should be able to find assistance for this issue there.

Regards,
    Jenifer
    • Marked as answer by JeniferA Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:59 PM
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 3:59 PM
  • Since we are not getting much real help here, here's how:

Open steadystate and unlock all user profiles and turn off hard disk protection. Reboot.

End Bubble.exe and SCTSvc.exe processes from task manager.

Stop the Windows SteadyState Service and run the following command from a command prompt to delete the service:

SC delete "windows steadystate"

(with speech marks. If this does not work successfully at this point, run the command again after doing everything else)

Show hidden files and protected operating system files and delete c:\Cache.wdp if present. You may need to log in in safe mode to delete this.

Run regedit and delete the following keys if present:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Computer Toolkit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Windows SteadyState

Delete C:\Program Files\Windows SteadyState

From ccleaner's startup section (or a similar program) delete the 2 entires related to Windows SteadyState.

Reboot.

Friday, November 04, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Why are you responding to a post that is over two years old (April 14, 2009)?
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, November 04, 2011 6:17 PM
  • Why? Seems like a bit of a strange question.

If you really want to know, the reason why I'm responding to this post is because I needed to remove steadystate (in the common scenario where the uninstaller didn't work) and I spent some time googling it and there seems to be no definitive answer, with this page being one of the highest google results. People are still looking for this, recently (2011) on various forums around the internet, despite the product being no longer supported. My post above is probably the most definitive answer on the internet at present, which may help other people who were in the same situation as myself.

Is that alright?

Friday, November 04, 2011 7:59 PM
  • You would be better off posting in the more appropriate Windows SteadyState Forum rather than this Microsoft Genuine Advantage Feedback and Comments Forum.
    Carey Frisch
    Friday, November 04, 2011 10:03 PM