none
IFrameworkInputPaneHandler doesn't work in elevated process RRS feed

• Question

• I have a GUI program that can run on a tablet or a laptop, and the UI needs to change based on whether the table keyboard is visible or not. I use the FrameworkInputPane COM class and call AdviseWithHWND to do this, and it seems to work until I run the process elevated. Unfortunately, the program has a requirement to run elevated.

I can also reproduce this issue using the built in notepad program. Normally, if you open the tablet keyboard such that it would obscure the notepad window, the window would readjust to be above the keyboard. If you do this with an elevated instance of notepad, this again does not work.

My question is: Is there a workaround for this issue? If not, are there any other documented APIs I can use to do accomplish what I need, which is detecting if a tablet keyboard is being used?

• Moved by Stanly Fan Friday, November 2, 2018 3:24 AM
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What the type of your project is? And which language did you use?

>>Unfortunately, the program has a requirement to run elevated.

I have some confusion about this problem, what doesit need to upgrade? Windows System? Or your project?

>>Normally, if you open the tablet keyboard such that it would obscure the notepad window, the window would readjust to be above the keyboard. If you do this with an elevated instance of notepad, this again does not work.

Could you please provide a gif or some screenshots for this problem? I think I need more details about it, thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:17 AM
  • My final project is a C# WPF app, but I am able to reproduce it in a C++ app using just the win32 api. None of this is really relevant since I am able to reproduce the same issue with notepad.

>> I have some confusion about this problem, what doesit need to upgrade? Windows System? Or your project?

This must be a translation issue, my process needs to run UAC elevated since it manages the network adapter of the system.

Here is a screenshot of it working. Notepad is not UAC elevated. Notice how the notepad window ends right as the keyboard begins. This is because Notepad readjusts itself so that the keyboard isn't obscuring the window.

This works, Notepad is not elevated

Here is a screenshot of it not working. Notepad is UAC elevated. Notice how the notepad window extends behind the keyboard (you can tell because you don't see the horizontal scrollbar at the bottom).

Doesn't work, notepad is elevated

• Edited by P Tully Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:18 PM Grammar correction
    Thursday, November 1, 2018 1:01 PM
  • Hi,

This forum is discussing and asking questions about the Windows Form and ClickOnce, it will be more appropriate to ask your question at Microsoft Developer Community.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Stanly

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 2, 2018 1:44 AM