** UPDATE***New Install from 120 day trial but drives not found RRS feed

• Question

• I just did  a reinstall of WHS, I did a server reinstallation at the prompt. The install went fine except at the end when it says WHS could not install. But when I click ok WHS runs. It shows that 2 drives could not be found. When I look in Windows Explorer they are there and I can browse to files. These drives where installed during the Trial and I haven't added any new drives.

****** While waiting for an answer, I have been reading lots of posts. I read that reinstalling with a SATA drive(mine is a storage drive not the system disk) will cause problems and need drivers at reinstall. I did not know this nor do i have drivers. What now?? My other drive is a IDE(and maybe damaged)

I can see the data in Explorer, can I copy this to external drive, install a new clean HD and then add the data back?

When I restart my WHS, it goes through the end of the reinstall process each time and says that WHS Backup is not started and some functions will not run. How do I fix this issue as well?

How do I get them back and if not how can I recover the data?

thank you
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:26 AM

All replies

• Yes you would need to manually add the data back. Your WHS may not have the correct backup data saved, in that case, all you can do is a Database Repair. Probably some backups will be lost
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 7:25 PM
  • Ok, so should I remove the drives that it says is missing?  I have another drive to install to replace them. Will this get rid of the reinstall from happening everytime I restart the computer.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10:31 PM
  • I would recommend to take a clean disk while detaching all other disks and perform a clean install on it. (The mentioned behavior of "reinstall every time" shows, that the upgrade process never completed, and I don't know any way to do that - unless you have removed the WHS DVD before the installation was completed, in this case it should be enough to put it in again to go on).
    After completion (including applying all updates) restore the data as described in the FAQ How to recover data after server failure.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 8:21 AM
  • Thanks Olaf,

I will give this a shot. I appreciate the help and will post the results..

thanks again
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 2:54 AM