WHS says Duplication is Failing for Shared Folder yet I have an almost empty drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have an EX470 with 5 drives:

2TB system drive, two 1TB drives and one 2TB drive in bays 2-4, and another 2TB drive in an eSATA box.

The problem is that everything but the system drive is 98-99% full, and the system drive is only 12% full.  Recently I copied a 30GB MKV to a shared folder with duplication.  What I assume is going on is that the 30GB file only fit on the nearly empty system drive and there isn't any room on the remaining drives to store the duplicate.

My issue is, why isn't the system smart enough to re-distribute files across the drives so that my latest file can be duplicated without throwing errors at me?  I've heard of tools that can 'game the system' and re-balance the drives, distributing the free space evenly, but I've never trusted them and I don't think I should HAVE to use them.  The whole premise of the system is to have this 'pool' of redundant storage.  I have 5 drives in this 'pool' with 1.6TB of free space in the pool.  Am I missing something here or is this just a limitation and I have to 'game the system' myself by removing and re-enabling duplication or something to re-distribute the storage?

HP Media Smart Server
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 3:52 AM

All replies

• The problem you have is most likely that your drives are all above the threshold that Windows Home Server uses to determine that it's time to shift files around (which is 20 GB), but you don't have enough space on any drive other than your system drive for your 30 GB file.

My suggestion is to add more storage:

• Connect an additional 2 GB drive, using eSATA or USB. (I would use a USB bridge to connect the bare drive.)
    • Add it to server storage.
    • Remove one of the 1 GB drives from server storage. (This may take a long time.)
    • Shut down your server.
    • Physically remove the drive you just removed from server stoage.
    • Replace the removed drive with the one you just added.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:48 PM