Activate xp on a new hard drive RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a refurbished computer with windows xp professional installed.  There are 2  coa labels on the cd that came with it, and I used the product key on the label from the refurisher.

The hard drive crashed and I bought a new one.  Do I install xp using the same cd and activate using the same product key, ie the one from the refurbisher?

The other coa label is from the pc manufacturer.  Will there be a problem with activation?

Friday, May 20, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

• "nm786123" wrote in message news:c72632b5-8d25-40bb-b574-42c182ff18ce...

Thanks for your reply.

You're right.  The cd that came with the computer has a label that says that the machine has 2 coa labels.

I installed the new hard drive and used the cd (which says "For Refurbished PCs).  It copies files to the hard drive but after it reboots nothing happens.  I hear a strange ringing noise and there's a blinking cursor on a black screen, but the installation process does not continue.  What am I doing wrong?

To be honest? - I have no idea!
    It sounds to me as if either the disk is not 'correct', or it needs drivers to properly install.
    I suggest that you post a question in the Answers forum for Windows XP Install....
    They may be able to help more than we can.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:29 PM

All replies

• "nm786123" wrote in message news:dd86d8ae-2e89-426e-b741-b3bc51569a29...

I bought a refurbished computer with windows xp professional installed.  There are 2  coa labels on the cd that came with it, and I used the product key on the label from the refurisher.

The hard drive crashed and I bought a new one.  Do I install xp using the same cd and activate using the same product key, ie the one from the refurbisher?

The other coa label is from the pc manufacturer.  Will there be a problem with activation?

Yes, use the refurbisher's COA Key - the other has most probably been blocked.
    However, you state that the COA Labels are on the CD? This is NOT according to the rules which refurbishers are supposed to follow, as I understand it. They are supposed to put the Key on the machine itself (as is the original OEM).
    I would look carefully at them both, and once installed (if they look OK), immediately run an MGADiag report to check for potential problems.

--

Friday, May 20, 2011 9:08 PM
  • Thanks for your reply.

You're right.  The cd that came with the computer has a label that says that the machine has 2 coa labels.

I installed the new hard drive and used the cd (which says "For Refurbished PCs).  It copies files to the hard drive but after it reboots nothing happens.  I hear a strange ringing noise and there's a blinking cursor on a black screen, but the installation process does not continue.  What am I doing wrong?

Monday, May 23, 2011 3:29 PM
  • "nm786123" wrote in message news:c72632b5-8d25-40bb-b574-42c182ff18ce...

Thanks for your reply.

To be honest? - I have no idea!
    It sounds to me as if either the disk is not 'correct', or it needs drivers to properly install.
    I suggest that you post a question in the Answers forum for Windows XP Install....
    They may be able to help more than we can.

--

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:29 PM