Can't Backup - 0x8007045D Error RRS feed

• Question

• I've been backing up Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for about a month now (I'm an MS Partner so I got it early), and yesterday for the first time I got the error below. I tried disabling and re-enabling system restore on drive C, but I still get the same error for both manual and automatic backups. Could anyone shed any light on this please?

[quote]Backup of volume C: to PEGASUS failed: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8007045D): The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)
       at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Common.Client.Win32.ThrowLastError()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.VolumeBuffer.EndRead()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.NTFS.ClusterBitMapReader.Next()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.DoClusterPass1()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.RunWithoutCatch()
       at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupOperation.Run()[/quote]
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:32 AM

Answers

• Please check the event log on the client for potential related error messages.
    Maybe it is enough to open a cmd prompt "as Administrator" and run
    chkdsk /r
    against the drive, for which the backup fails.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Echilon Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:10 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:41 AM

All replies

• Please check the event log on the client for potential related error messages.
    chkdsk /r
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by Echilon Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:10 AM
    Friday, October 23, 2009 7:41 AM
  • Thanks Olaf, that worked.
    Saturday, October 24, 2009 6:10 AM
  • I also had this problem after about 30 sucessful Vista and 5 Windows 7 backups.  Then every backup failed and I could not find an answer.  However, your solution worked great.  Thank you very much!!
    Thursday, November 19, 2009 10:21 PM
  • I've been using the HP MediaSmart Home Server for the year and a half.  The backup feature is awesome and I've used it twice to recover PC's (1 had a failed HD on a laptop with XP 32bit, 1 other on a desktop PC after a problem to install the latest service pack for Vista 32bit).  I've got a 3rd PC (desktop) with Vista 64bit and no problems.  I've recently added to a laptop (2nd laptop, 4th computer) to my network and setup with Home Sever, ...it's with Windows 7 64 bit.  It's been backing up succesfully for the past 3 weeks, however for the past 8 days, it has failed.  "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8007045D)".  I found this thread, ....ran the chkdsk /r on the laptop, which was executed during a re-boot.  After 30 minutes, it found one error and repaired it.  Now the backup worked!!!  Does anyone know why I had 1 file corrupted on the laptop?
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:48 PM
  • File and file system corruptions can have various reasons - besides those caused by faulty memory or hardware you may get them after an application crash or an unexpected shutdown of the operating system, while just write process was performed to the disk/file.

Olaf
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 6:04 PM
  • Hi, I'm also having this backup problem.  I'm limited in computer experience so please forgive my
    ignorance.  I recently upgraded from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 on an HP Media Center and am trying
    to do a backup. I was able to create a system repair disk on a dvd and to do an system image backup
    of both the C and D (HP recovery drive) to Drive E.  When I try to do a backup to my dvd, drive F,
    the system first said the disk must be formatted, then ran for a while and said the backup failed.

It gave me this error number as the cause.

But, even though I am logged in as an administrator, going to command prompt which lists me as
    user, typing in chkdsk /r    it says access denied as I do not have sufficient privileges.  What should I
    do?

Thanks,
    Sunday, January 24, 2010 12:40 AM
  • Hi, I'm also having this backup problem.  I'm limited in computer experience so please forgive my
    ignorance.  I recently upgraded from Vista 32bit to Windows 7 on an HP Media Center and am trying
    to do a backup. I was able to create a system repair disk on a dvd and to do an system image backup
    of both the C and D (HP recovery drive) to Drive E.  When I try to do a backup to my dvd, drive F,
    the system first said the disk must be formatted, then ran for a while and said the backup failed.

It gave me this error number as the cause.

But, even though I am logged in as an administrator, going to command prompt which lists me as
    user, typing in chkdsk /r    it says access denied as I do not have sufficient privileges.  What should I
    do?

Thanks,
    You need to right click on command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 1:54 AM
    chkdsk /r
    Olaf
    This solution also worked for me. Thank you very much, Olaf!
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:46 PM
    chkdsk /r
    Olaf

Olaf can you break this fix down for me, a computer novice, as a step by step tutorial.  I don't understand any of the terms used in the explanation but I have a brand new HP computer with Windows 7 64 bit.  Thank you in advance.
    Thursday, April 28, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Click the Windows button, type cmd.

Right click the found cmd and select Run as Administrator.

Type the mentioned command within that opened prompt and hit Enter.

What you could try first is to exclude the small 100 MB partition from backing up in the console.

Olaf

Wednesday, May 4, 2011 12:32 PM