none
Forum Software RRS feed

• Question

• What forums software are these forums built on top?  Can it be downloaded?  Purchased?
    Wednesday, July 2, 2008 7:21 PM

Answers

• I believe it's custom made, at Microsoft. (And still being heavily worked on)
    • Marked as answer by mxmissile Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:04 PM
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:21 AM
  • That's correct, it is custom code. It makes a lot of use of ASP.Net AJAX library for the client side script. On the server side, it's all C# and uses LINQ for data access. In it's current form it'd be pretty difficult to release the code as there are several other internal dependencies we rely upon. But I'd be happy to answer any questions on what we did or how we use the various technologies.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:21 PM

All replies

• I believe it's custom made, at Microsoft. (And still being heavily worked on)
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:21 AM
  • That's correct, it is custom code. It makes a lot of use of ASP.Net AJAX library for the client side script. On the server side, it's all C# and uses LINQ for data access. In it's current form it'd be pretty difficult to release the code as there are several other internal dependencies we rely upon. But I'd be happy to answer any questions on what we did or how we use the various technologies.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:21 PM
  • I'm assuming you used Expression Studio 2 for the website, right?
    Take a chance. Prepare to be surprised.
    Friday, July 4, 2008 2:04 AM
  • Actually, no we did not use Expression for creation of the system. The bulk of the actual Forums UI is created client-side using javascript.
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    Monday, July 7, 2008 7:41 PM
  • Do you know if MS has plans to offer this forum software as a commercial product?
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 12:48 AM
  • Not that I know of. It's pretty specific to the requirements for these sites and tied to other systems (including the whole Social Platform) so I don't know if we could if we wanted to.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Tuesday, July 29, 2008 4:41 PM
  • This looks like very good forum software indeed. I am impressed by what I've seen so far.

By the way. what does "STO" stand for (as in "STO Forums")?

MarkR
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:22 AM
  • STO = Server & Tools Online
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Sunday, September 14, 2008 3:31 PM
  • The previous forum software was initially purchased and then heavily modified; the many bugs did not exist in the initial package, at least not the serious ones. The original MSDN forums software looked much like the CodeGuru forums, or at least the forum software that CodeGuru used a few years ago. There are many other sites that use the same software. I am not sure, but probably the CodeGuru forums use software from the same vendor that they have been using for a few years.

I am not a Microsoft person or anything close to that but the reason I am confident that what I said above about the previous forum software is correct is that that has been said in previous discussions a year or two before. I apologize if I am incorrect, but I sure think it is accurate.

One thing that the previous software has in common among the many sites that use the same software is the emoticons or whatever they are called; the silly happy faces and such. They have minimal use for technical forums.

Something else is hierarchies; good forum software can show hierarchies of replies; a tree view or something such as that. A hierarchy within a discussion that accurately shows what message is being replied to is very useful, especieally in technical forums. The old CodeGuru forum software had that ability but the subsequent software did not and I assume that the CodeGuru forums still don't have the hierarchy capability. The CodeProject site built their own forum software and I think it does have a hierarchical view. I consider a hierarchical view to be among the most important features for forum software, especially technical forums.

Sam Hobbs; see my SimpleSamples.Info
    Friday, November 21, 2008 11:59 PM