Must Add Mac OSX Compatiblity!!!!! RRS feed

• Question

• MS has to add Mac OSX computers, so that those of us that have Mac and Windows computers on our home networks, can use WHS. I want to be able to have WHS and backup my macs to the WHS, and store files from my macs to WHS. I also want to be able to remotely connect thru the WHS to my mac at home like WHS lets you connect to your windows machine. MS can really show the computer community it wants to change and be inclusive for once. MS could really lead the home server market and create some MUCH needed good will with WHS!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 9:50 AM

All replies

• This issue had been raised a number of times, and usually sparks an interesting debate ;-)

Originally there was going to be some functionality if you were using Leopard, however APPLE made some changes at the last minute that made that functionality stop working. If you want to know exact details, do a search on the forums here for more.

I believe the general consensus was that MS have limited development resources for WHS and that dev resource could and would be spent better on other areas than doing stuff for Mac users.

Personally, I have a Mac as well and would like this functionality, however, im not holding my breath to ever see it.

I would suggest you go add your suggestion to the Micrsoft Connect site for WHS V2, you never know :-)

Andrew

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:38 PM
  • The only thing that Apple changed before release was they got rid of Time Machine support to network volumes of any sort, also according to their tech specs Time Machine only backs up to HFS formatted volumes. You CAN use a Mac running Tiger / Leopard with Windows Home Server to access shares on the server, and in Leopard it shows up in Finder in the Places bar ( I know this works because I do it everyday with my MacBook Pro and Leopard.)

Sunday, December 16, 2007 8:04 AM