Creating a new front-end on a messed up OCS environment RRS feed

• Question

• Since I totally botched my test environment while trying to install an Archiving Server (see here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/2e97961b-a699-4f1e-b9b0-38a2da5139be ), I am trying to reinstall the front-end into this OCS environment. I left everything as is, and I made a new virtual machine to turn into a front-end. I went straight to the step of adding the server to the pool (the pool presumably exists, right?), but after I selected the pool to join it to, and I gave it the creds for the 3 RTC*** accounts, it hund, and then threw the following error:

Unable to retrieve the WMI setting of MSFT_SIPLogSetting from pool backend 'adatlisdsql05\OCS_R2'. Please ensure the backend database exists and is reachable. (Error code: 0x800407D0)

I saw some posts about this (like this one: http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/communicationsserversetup/thread/d82c43c0-dbd9-42eb-8917-9dfe52957e60/ ), but could not find anything that worked.

Any suggestions? Should I just totally destroy this OCS environment (if so, how do I do that?) and start from scratch? and if i do that, can i bring back my settings from a backup?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 5:42 PM

Answers

• Yep, it was a problem with CallManager and SIP. I didn't get too many details on the problem, but it has been resolved and had nothing to do with OCS.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• Paul.
    Have you verified the database is mounted properly and accessible?  Are you using a domain account to access SQL and have appropriate permissions on the SQL server?  Are there errors in the event log on the SQL?  If there are errors in the SQL server event log, are there also Login Failures in the security event log with NTAuthority\Anonymous User and the error references the FE server name?
    Mark
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Monday, October 5, 2009 6:57 PM
  • it looks like everything about the database is good. I installed SQL Management Studio onto the server that I am trying to add to the pool, and I could connect to the database on the SQL server just fine and browse around the database, using the windows credentials. I also do not see any errors in any of the event logs (well, there are a couple here and there, but they aren't related to SQL at all).
    Monday, October 5, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Is there a firewall on the SQL server?
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Monday, October 5, 2009 8:43 PM
  • Thursday, October 15, 2009 10:35 AM
  • Yep, it was a problem with CallManager and SIP. I didn't get too many details on the problem, but it has been resolved and had nothing to do with OCS.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 8:28 PM