Folder Duplication with Variety of Hard Drive Sizes RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason I can't seem to find a straight answer on this. Here's my question...

Let's say I have two hard drives. One is 500GB (which has the system files on it), and I also have a 160GB. I enable folder duplication on my shares.

Hows does this all work?

1) Will I be limited to only 160GB in my shared folders?
    2) Which drive will the backups be stored on?

Thanks
    Monday, October 29, 2007 9:24 PM

Answers

• Your answers:
    1. Yes. If you have duplication on for all shares, then you are limited by the smaller drive in a two-drive WHS PC.
    2. Good question. I've seen backups on both drives in a two drive system. I've also seen them stored only on the secondary drive. I'm not sure how WHS determines which drive to put them on.
    As another poster has said, Microsoft has said that there will be a white paper about how Drive Extender works in the near future. How near "near" is, I don't know. Probably weeks, though.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 10:26 PM

All replies

• Interesting question :-)

Microsoft are due to publish a whitepaper on how drive extender works very soon, but that doesnt help now!

Assuming both drives are in the storage pool, and folder duplication is switched on, then you I believe you would be limited to the "smaller" drive for duplication, after all, the point of duplication is to store a copy of the data on a seperate drive, and if thats your only seperate drive then that is what you it will use.

Backups could be stored on either drive in the pool.

Andrew

Monday, October 29, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Your answers:
    1. Yes. If you have duplication on for all shares, then you are limited by the smaller drive in a two-drive WHS PC.
    2. Good question. I've seen backups on both drives in a two drive system. I've also seen them stored only on the secondary drive. I'm not sure how WHS determines which drive to put them on.
    As another poster has said, Microsoft has said that there will be a white paper about how Drive Extender works in the near future. How near "near" is, I don't know. Probably weeks, though.
    Monday, October 29, 2007 10:26 PM
  • First off I wanted to thank both posters for the information. That's a big help.

One more question for you (which I think would be appropriate here) -- I think I read somewhere else that WHSs that have 3 or more drives operate differently with backups. I thought it said something about moving the backups/shared folders off of the first hard drive - does anyone know if either of these are true?

... or do I have to wait for Microsoft's documentation? Wink

Thanks
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 12:20 AM
  • You probably read something I wrote. Smile

Briefly, when you add a third drive to a WHS that has two drives already, and data on them, WHS should move any duplicated files off the D: partition to the new drive, as well as moving any files that are stored only on D: (that can happen if you fill up your server). This activity may happen slowly, but some users have found that rebooting the server seems to "kick start" Drive Extender and they get moved faster afterward. YMMV.

Backups, if stored on D:, will stay there, at least for a while. The backup engine does a cleanup every week, though, and as part of rearranging data in the backup database, you may eventually see some backup database components move off of the D: drive. Don't count on it happening fast.

If you pack your server full, though, any and all types of data may find their way back to D:. If that happens, it's much more difficult to get the files to move back off, even if you add additional disks. The most reliable way to get files in the shares to move is to manipulate duplication for your shares.
    Tuesday, October 30, 2007 4:09 AM
  • And would you believe Microsoft posted the promised whitepaper today :-)

here is the link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Andrew

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 3:57 PM
  • Heh. Yes, they did. I would have liked a bit more technical detail in the "technical" paper. Smile
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:58 AM