Bad advice from Windows Live One Care RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have some sort of malware on my Windows XP Pro box.   It changed my wallpaper to a blue screen that reads "Warning! Spyware detected on your computer!   Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer."

My computer also keeps rebooting, and the print spool fills up with bogus print jobs.

Several scans by OneCare, both short and full scans, report nothing harmful on my computer!

So I installed Avast, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware, and AntiVir.

All but SpywareBlaster (because it prevents rather than detect and remove) found LOTS of threats and removed them (over 485 for Ad-Aware alone).   All but the one I'm trying to remove, unfortunately.

Now OneCare has gone yellow, and says my security is only "fair."    It says I should remove the "interfering programs"

Ad-Aware 2007, AntiVir Personal Addition Classic, and avast! Antivirus.

We'd hate to get in the way of OneCare doing nothing, is that it?    When those three "interfering programs" found all the stuff OneCare didn't, I can't say I felt what I paid for OneCare was money well spent.

I'll get rid of the "intefering programs" if somebody can tell me how to get OneCare to do its job.

Sunday, July 6, 2008 8:26 PM

Answers

• Obviously you have been infected by malware that One Care missed. The fact that you installed a boatload of antimalware products that also could not remove the infection should give you the clue that antimalware products give you a measure of protection, not immunity. Removing interfering programs *is* good advice. None of the antimalware programs ( with the exception of Spywareblaster which is not an antimalware program but a custom hosts file ) will work properly with the others installed. Regarding Ad Aware detecting 485 threats, without having to see your scan results, I know the bulk of the detected "threats" are cookies. They have been feeding this nonsense to the uninformed for years.

To remove the malware from your computer I suggest contacting One Care support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, July 6, 2008 9:21 PM

All replies

• Obviously you have been infected by malware that One Care missed. The fact that you installed a boatload of antimalware products that also could not remove the infection should give you the clue that antimalware products give you a measure of protection, not immunity. Removing interfering programs *is* good advice. None of the antimalware programs ( with the exception of Spywareblaster which is not an antimalware program but a custom hosts file ) will work properly with the others installed. Regarding Ad Aware detecting 485 threats, without having to see your scan results, I know the bulk of the detected "threats" are cookies. They have been feeding this nonsense to the uninformed for years.

To remove the malware from your computer I suggest contacting One Care support. How to reach support - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

Sunday, July 6, 2008 9:21 PM
  • Do what "JimR1" advises for the following reasons; First, you should never have more than one anti-virus product installed on your computer at one time because they will fight with each other and create mayhem. Second, if you have purchased Ad-aware 2007 you will have real time protection enabled which will cause a conflict with Onecare. You must disable the real time component in Ad-aware for Onecare to do its job properly. If you have the free version of Ad-aware the real time protection element is disabled already and you won't have to worry about it.

Just remember the golden rule "only Install one Anti-virus program and only one Real Time Anti-spyware Program at any one time on your computer". If you don't follow this advice you are asking for trouble.  J.B.

Monday, July 7, 2008 8:33 AM